Hofstra University to hold a conference celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Mets

Jan 13, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Image (1) Mets%20Logo.png for post 3903

Fifty years for the Mets? Guess their tenure is the only thing golden about them. Still, this is kind of neat:

April 2012 will mark the 50th anniversary of the New York Mets, one of the most popular and culturally significant baseball franchises.

On Thursday through Sunday, April 26-28, 2012, Hofstra University will host a conference to consider all aspects of the history and culture of the team. This will be the first multidisciplinary conference to consider every aspect of a Major League Baseball franchise.

There will be presentations about “the Origins of the Mets; The Roots, Myths and Evolution of Mets Fandom; Defining Individuals in Mets History; Mets Icons, Symbols and Mascots,” and about a zillion others.

Sadly, according to the website, the submission deadline has passed. Which just means that I’ll need to find another outlet for my multimedia presentation “Kevin McReynolds: God, he was annoying, right?”  It’s rigorous scholarship, I assure you.

(Thanks to Melissa D. for the heads up)

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I also want to thank Melissa D for the heads up on this conference. My congratulations to Hofstra for emphasising the cultural significance of this anniversary. My congratulations to all those Mets who entered the HOF wearing Mets hats. I also want to thank the Mets for one of the greatest quotes in the history of baseball. My memory is slightly off, but I think that it was “Can’t anyone here play this game.”

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Sadly, according to Jimmy Breslin (Author of the book with the same quote) apparently admitted that he made it up. So it’s not an actual quote…

• sdelmonte - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

It’s a quote from Breslin then.

2. mirmz - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Outside of invitation: “If you thought the last 50 years were AWESOME…”

Inside of invitation: “… Well… um… shit. Next few years are going to blow. Come anyway! Please?”

3. thefalcon123 - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

SP: Jerry Koosman
    SP: Dwight Gooden
    SP: Jon Matlack
    SP: Sid Fernandez
    RP: Jon Franco

• sdelmonte - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Would love to find a way to get Mookie on this team. Hard to argue he belongs there instead of McReynolds, though as this is Craig’s blog, I think that he would probably offer strong reasons to remove the latter and insert the former.

Wish I could make arguments in favor of some more ’69 players, but as much as we love Agee, Swoboda, etc, that was not a great group of players. Merely a great team.

Manager: Bobby V? Hodges? Davey Johnson?

GM: Cashen

• aceshigh11 - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

This must the “cocaine’s a helluva drug” team.

4. jrocknstuff - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

McReynolds doesn’t belong on that list. Id put Cleon Jones on there over him just for 1969 alone.

• longtimefan1 - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Though Jones has sentimental value and longevity, McReynolds was the more dominant player with both power and run production.

I saw both play as Mets for many years and McReynolds was legit heart-of-order type whereas Jones never topped more than 14 homers, nor more than 75 rbi. Twelve years as Met yielded just 93 homers and .281 BA. By the time Jones was 29, he only hit above .260 once and had only 33 more homers till end of his career.

5. pitolove124 - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Did Bernie Maddoff get a invite?

• jwbiii - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Chief Financial Officer, I think.

6. jrocknstuff - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

And Nails has to be in center, not Beltran. Most of the guys on your team never won a damn thing. Winning has to count for something. I’ll let you leave Ho-Jo off even though I don’t like Wright, but McReynolds and Beltran?

• aceshigh11 - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Howard Johnson was my FAVORITE player growing up in the ’80s…had a poster of him and everything, and got to see him hit a HR at Shea, which was a real thrill…

…but it’s hard to put him over Wright.

The Mets only have two World Series titles, so if winning something is all that matters, the pool to choose from is highly limited.

7. jrocknstuff - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM

All I’m saying is, in 5 years with the Mets McReynolds never hit .300, never reached 30 HR, never scored 90 runs, only once walked more than 50 times. When you’re counting on him to be a major run producer in your lineup, you need more production than that. He’s a major reason why the teams he was on never won a world series. On paper they sure as hell had the talent.

8. DJ MC - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Mets at the Movies

Special Guest: Bernard Gilkey and his lecture, “.317/30/117 in ’96 and I’m only remembered for seeing a UFO”

9. nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I’m told the program includes having Nolan Ryan and Tom Seaver discuss the history of Mets no-hitters!!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hey, what’s with the thumbs-down? The discussion won’t be very time-consuming!!!

10. Old Gator - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

For more on Hofstra, see the “Hofstra” track on Bill Cosby’s first album.

• aceshigh11 - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM

My ex-fiance went to Hofstra, so I have NO interest in learning any more about that school.

Fun fact: I went to her Master’s graduation back in 2009, and one of the featured speakers was none other than Mets President, Saul Katz.

The other was Chuck Schumer, for what’s it worth.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2529)