Jan 13, 2012, 9:43 PM EST
Sweeney, who was acquired from the Athletics last month in the Andrew Bailey trade, earned $1.4 million last season while batting .265/.346/.341 with one home run, 25 RBI and a .687 OPS over 299 plate appearances. The 27-year-old outfielder is under team control through 2013.
The Red Sox may add another outfielder before spring training, but it currently looks like Sweeney will share playing time in right field with Darnell McDonald and possibly Mike Aviles. Ryan Kalish underwent surgery in November to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, but he could be a factor in May or June.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)