Jan 13, 2012, 9:43 PM EDT
Sweeney, who was acquired from the Athletics last month in the Andrew Bailey trade, earned $1.4 million last season while batting .265/.346/.341 with one home run, 25 RBI and a .687 OPS over 299 plate appearances. The 27-year-old outfielder is under team control through 2013.
The Red Sox may add another outfielder before spring training, but it currently looks like Sweeney will share playing time in right field with Darnell McDonald and possibly Mike Aviles. Ryan Kalish underwent surgery in November to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, but he could be a factor in May or June.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69