Jan 13, 2012, 9:43 PM EST
Sweeney, who was acquired from the Athletics last month in the Andrew Bailey trade, earned $1.4 million last season while batting .265/.346/.341 with one home run, 25 RBI and a .687 OPS over 299 plate appearances. The 27-year-old outfielder is under team control through 2013.
The Red Sox may add another outfielder before spring training, but it currently looks like Sweeney will share playing time in right field with Darnell McDonald and possibly Mike Aviles. Ryan Kalish underwent surgery in November to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, but he could be a factor in May or June.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)