Jan 13, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
Not that signing Damon would be a bad thing. He hit .261/.326/.418 with 16 homers and 19 steals last year and was actually hampered by his home park. Moving to Baltimore would mean that he wouldn’t get to face Orioles pitching anymore, but Camden Yards would be more friendly to him. And unlike the other DH candidates out there he can still play some left field, albeit not well.
Either way, Damon’s days of helping contenders are likely over. At this point his raison d’être is to try to get as close to 3,000 hits as he can, thereby making him the topic of one of the more frustrating Hall of Fame debates ever. Which should be fun.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 0
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 16
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)