Jan 13, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
I swear, someone decided this winter that we’re going to talk about Roy Oswalt like he’s a 17 year-old girl in the 1950s. First people were “eyeing” him. Now Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Rangers have “made inquiries.”
Gee, I hope they talk to Roy’s father first and declare their intentions. We musn’t besmirch his good name.
Anyway, Oswalt on the Rangers is one of those things that always seemed to make sense because they always seemed to need pitching and he played in the state of Texas for so long and all of that. But assuming Yu Darvish signs — a safe assumption — Texas isn’t exactly desperate for starters these days, what with Lewis, Holland, Feliz, Harrison, Ogando and Darvish. Adding Oswalt would probably only give Ron Washington an excuse to return Feliz to the pen and that would just put me in a foul mood.
Anyway, here’s to watching for more reports on the courtship of Roy Oswalt. Perhaps the Cardinals will take him to a malt shop. Maybe the Yankees will ask him to the Sadie Hawkins dance.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)