Jan 13, 2012, 8:20 AM EST
I swear, someone decided this winter that we’re going to talk about Roy Oswalt like he’s a 17 year-old girl in the 1950s. First people were “eyeing” him. Now Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Rangers have “made inquiries.”
Gee, I hope they talk to Roy’s father first and declare their intentions. We musn’t besmirch his good name.
Anyway, Oswalt on the Rangers is one of those things that always seemed to make sense because they always seemed to need pitching and he played in the state of Texas for so long and all of that. But assuming Yu Darvish signs — a safe assumption — Texas isn’t exactly desperate for starters these days, what with Lewis, Holland, Feliz, Harrison, Ogando and Darvish. Adding Oswalt would probably only give Ron Washington an excuse to return Feliz to the pen and that would just put me in a foul mood.
Anyway, here’s to watching for more reports on the courtship of Roy Oswalt. Perhaps the Cardinals will take him to a malt shop. Maybe the Yankees will ask him to the Sadie Hawkins dance.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)