Jan 13, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes made his winter league debut in the Dominican Republic last night, going 0-for-3 with three strikeouts, and afterward the Cuban defector told local reporter Dionisio Soldevila that six teams have expressed “a lot of interest” in signing him.
According to Cespedes those half-dozen teams are the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers, and Indians.
Miami’s interest is certainly no secret at this point and both Chicago teams have previously been linked to the 26-year-old outfielder, but it’s interesting to note that Washington is not on his list despite plenty of speculation that the Nationals were interested.
Clay Davenport of Baseball Prospectus crunched the numbers on Cespedes’ performance in Cuba and projects him as a .250 hitter with 25-homer power in America, so if the interested teams have a similarly good but not great view of his value–as opposed to his rumored $50 million hopes from a couple months ago–that could explain why he’s risking injury and overexposure by playing winter ball in the hopes of driving his price up.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL