Jan 13, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes made his winter league debut in the Dominican Republic last night, going 0-for-3 with three strikeouts, and afterward the Cuban defector told local reporter Dionisio Soldevila that six teams have expressed “a lot of interest” in signing him.
According to Cespedes those half-dozen teams are the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers, and Indians.
Miami’s interest is certainly no secret at this point and both Chicago teams have previously been linked to the 26-year-old outfielder, but it’s interesting to note that Washington is not on his list despite plenty of speculation that the Nationals were interested.
Clay Davenport of Baseball Prospectus crunched the numbers on Cespedes’ performance in Cuba and projects him as a .250 hitter with 25-homer power in America, so if the interested teams have a similarly good but not great view of his value–as opposed to his rumored $50 million hopes from a couple months ago–that could explain why he’s risking injury and overexposure by playing winter ball in the hopes of driving his price up.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)