Jan 13, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes made his winter league debut in the Dominican Republic last night, going 0-for-3 with three strikeouts, and afterward the Cuban defector told local reporter Dionisio Soldevila that six teams have expressed “a lot of interest” in signing him.
According to Cespedes those half-dozen teams are the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers, and Indians.
Miami’s interest is certainly no secret at this point and both Chicago teams have previously been linked to the 26-year-old outfielder, but it’s interesting to note that Washington is not on his list despite plenty of speculation that the Nationals were interested.
Clay Davenport of Baseball Prospectus crunched the numbers on Cespedes’ performance in Cuba and projects him as a .250 hitter with 25-homer power in America, so if the interested teams have a similarly good but not great view of his value–as opposed to his rumored $50 million hopes from a couple months ago–that could explain why he’s risking injury and overexposure by playing winter ball in the hopes of driving his price up.
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 0
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 21
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 54
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 35
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (179)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)