Jan 13, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes has a bit of mystery about him. Gaudy numbers from Cuba. Far more limited footage and scouting of him freely available than of most hot properties. In spite of that — or perhaps because of it — he’s set to become a free agent and get himself a contract in the $50-60 million range or perhaps more. At the moment his stock could not be higher.
So will someone please explain to me why he decided to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic?
Outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, the talented and sought-after Cuban defector, has joined Aguilas of the Dominican Winter League. He played Thursday in a round-robin playoff game. Cespedes went 0-for-3 with three strikeouts and was hit by a pitch in the 6-4 loss to the Gigantes del Cibao.
I can’t see what he has to gain by playing. Given the investment they will have just made, the team that signs him will have no choice but to have tons of patience if he’s a bit rusty upon hitting spring training. And by playing now, before signing, he risks (a) injury; or (b) losing some luster by virtue of poor play or, more likely, some bit of scouting intelligence that reveals a heretofore overlooked flaw in his game.
Maybe he’s just bored. But if I were his agent I would have told him to do nothing but work out, eat smart and peruse real estate listings until his contract is done.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 0
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 31
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 25
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)