Cubs installing 70-foot digital scoreboard at Wrigley Field

Jan 14, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT

From CSNChicago.com’s Jake Flannigan comes the below mockup of a 70-foot LED scoreboard that will be installed in right field at baseball’s second-oldest stadium. Construction will be completed this spring.

source:

Above the new scoreboard you’ll see something called the “Budweiser Patio.” It will contain 150 all-inclusive seats (not bleachers), and is also going in before the start of the season. Wrigley Field purists are sure to despise the plan, but it puts the Cubs in a better position to attract a future All-Star Game (possibly as soon as 2016) and should open more revenue streams (through advertising and, well, all-inclusive ticket sales).

1. pjmitch - Jan 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Thank goodness my first trip to Wrigley ever was last summer as I was able to experience it prior to this. I’m sorry Cub fans. You deserve better.

• gordocb - Jan 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Are you serious with this stupid ass comment? The only things the Cubs fans deserve is a winner on the field, and any new revenue streams that can make that happen is fine with me.

• 18thstreet - Jan 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM

The lack of an adequate scoreboard is the only thing wrong with Wrigley. I love this.

2. Tim's Neighbor - Jan 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

This is pretty awful. Just gaudy placement. The intimacy of the bleachers is one of the reasons people go to Cubs games when the team isn’t any good. The players always interact out there, which makes it such a unique experience. Very disappointing.

• Alex K - Jan 15, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Where would you have them put something like this? Over te bleachers is the only other option I can think of. But that could/would block the rooftops.

• Tim's Neighbor - Jan 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Over centerfield. I’m not as concerned about people watching from outside the stadium as in.

3. virusgvr - Jan 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Maybe they should not change what isnt broken, and use that money to buy a better pitcher or few hitters, no…. That ok, change it… And jack the prices up!

• ditka96 - Jan 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Maybe they could use it to put in some restrooms that aren’t a dump…

• Tim's Neighbor - Jan 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Troughs are a bonding experience.

4. hojo20 - Jan 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Is it too late to fire Theo for this ugly thing?

5. tcmchi - Jan 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I usually don’t comment on these posts, but this is just too frustrating to me not to say something. To the people who are bellyaching about how this is ugly and gaudy and takes away from the “Wrigley experience”; this is how modern baseball teams generate additional revenue so they can put an actual winning team on the field. Fenway Park is older than Wrigley and has all kinds of electronic scoreboards at their stadium and you don’t see them complaining because they put a consistently competitive team on the field every year. Actually, Wrigley is a dump that would be too expensive to adequately renovate, and tearing it down is out of the question for the “purists”, so I don’t know exactly what you people want Theo to do. And you wonder why the Cubs haven’t won anything in over 100 years….(shaking head)

• Tim's Neighbor - Jan 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Easy, now. I’m all for some improvement of the park. However, I just don’t like this one. It could have been done better. Why take away the intimacy of the RF bleacher for a LED screen? Do that in CF above the batter’s eye (Turner Fields set up would be great). The bleachers in Wrigley are incredibly intimate. You are right on top of the field. Players interact there more than any other park I’ve been to. It’s unique.

To say that tech improvements would ruin the experience is silly. To question their placement is a different matter.

• 3yardsandacloud - Jan 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM

How about the giant Toyota sign above the bleachers? That doesn’t do more to take away the ambiance? Frankly, I think people will enjoy a small upgrade at Clark and Addison without ruining the overall experience by a harsh remodel that takes away the old world charm.

• Alex K - Jan 15, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Are you talking in place of the existing LED board in CF? That’s a fine place for something more modern.

• paperlions - Jan 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Cubs fans should probably wait to see what the finished product looks like, then wait a couple of more years to judge it. Red Sox fans hated the very idea of altering Fenway (unless it meant more/better bathrooms/concessions), but now things like the monster seats are a huge hit…..besides, bitching isn’t going to keep change from happening. There are 2 options, a new stadium (which is really what they need) or a lot of changes to the existing one.

• oldpaddy - Jan 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM

paperlions, personally I hate the monster seats and I miss the horse trough urinals.

• Tim's Neighbor - Jan 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM

The last thing I want to do as a Cubs fan is to respond to things as if I’m a Red Sox fan.

6. matthewtrueblood - Jan 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM

It’s not the best artist’s rendering ever, but I actually Think this will look great. Cubs fans, calm down, this is not going into premium bleacher territory.

• deepstblu - Jan 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I’ll say it’s not the best rendering ever. They’re gonna need artificial gravity it it’s really pitched that steeply.

7. crisisjunky - Jan 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM

They could stick a hot tub up there and trade for LoMo.

8. pudgalvin - Jan 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Welcome to the 1980′s Wrigley.

9. unconventionalidiot - Jan 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I love this. This is exactly what Wrigley needed – a nice informational scoreboard. Before this, there was no place in Wrigley that either teams total errors for the game could be found and posting of pitch counts was inconsistent – sometimes they are on the ribbon board depending on the size of the ad being displayed but often not. Also, multiple out of town game scores are not on the big, classic scoreboard because it’s limited to 6 games per league. This should address all of these issues, leaving the ivy walls and the old scoreboard alone while NOT bringing in a replay board a.k.a. a loud advertising board. We may even get to see the current batter’s slugging percentage!

• hojo20 - Jan 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM

People have phones with internet capability. If they want the stats of other games, they can use them.

• paperlions - Jan 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

People have TVs too, if they don’t like the changes they can just watch the game on those….or better yet, listen on the radio so they don’t have to see any changes to the field.

10. orangeflh - Jan 14, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Tie a ribbon around a turd and it still stinks.

11. marc127 - Jan 14, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I am a die hard Cubs fan and I think this is a great idea. All these people bashing it have to realize that these old ballparks need to eventually evolve. I like what Fenway did with their renovations. They steadily modernized it while keeping the classic feel of the original Fenway. And I trust whatever renovations they use on Wrigley since it was reported a few years ago that Cubs officials visited Fenway and got advice with how they went about the renovations. Wrigley is a venue to watch baseball in the modern era. Wouldn’t you like to be able to see a replay without having to be under the overhang? I know I would.

12. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Jan 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM

A giant scoreboard for Wrigley? As Dyan put it, “You don’t have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows”. Surely, the Cub fans don’t need a 70 foot digital scoreboard to what the score is: Cubs lose.

13. shanabartels - Jan 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I’m just impressed that Theo Epstein finally got around the red tape, and a bit surprised nobody mentioned on here that Wrigley is landmarked, which is why the park had an outdated (i.e. doesn’t have enough room to show all the current teams that exist) scoreboard for so long. So this renovation is kind of similar to the Monster seats being added to Fenway. The rendering really doesn’t seem like that many bells and whistles compared to modern parks, but it will take some getting used to visually.

14. hotkarlsandwich - Jan 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Worlds Largest Gay Bar

15. stoutfiles - Jan 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM

So the big question is: How many rooftop views will this block? The Cubs have never been shy about their hatred of rooftop seats that they don’t own.

• mickyfin815 - Jan 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Nor have the people who own the rooftop seats been shy of making money off of the Cubs which they have absolutely no invested interest in.

• blueintown - Jan 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The Cubs receive millions of dollars of revenue from the rooftop owners as part of a twenty-year agreement. #facts

• crisisjunky - Jan 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Now were getting to the crux of the biscuit! When is the 20Yr contract expire?
        I’m guessing the club brought in a hired pencil to work out the balance of
        friendly neighbor relations and potetial palm greasing all around, as opposed to the
        long term value of the installation.
        This is how Connie Mack dealt with rooftops across from Shibe Park.
        Build it and they will come….across the street.

• blueintown - Jan 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I believe the deal expires sometime around 2025. The Cubs get 17% of the rooftop owners’ gross revenue. They get $2 mil + per year.

16. medialovesthecowboys - Jan 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I hate “purists”. The opposite of purists are generally progressive thinking people who make the world go-round. What exactly has the “Wrigley experience” done for the Cubs in the last…say even… Four decades anyways???

17. mickyfin815 - Jan 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Yeah, go to Wrigley and have “your experience” and get over it, it’s old, it’s a dump and and it needs lot’s of help it won’t get because of the Chicago Bureaucrats and anybody else that’s got their hands out looking to get some money off the team / owners and the dump itself ‘cos it’s a landmark don’t ya know. Geez, let ‘em pump some new life into the place, the options seem to be few anyway…who knows, it just may turn out to be a “better experience”.

18. irishjackmp - Jan 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM

And cue the indignant outcries from the annoying “purists” because the Cubs actually are acting like a private sector busness and will try to (gasp) maximize revenue.

I have on simple question for the “purists”, when was the last time any of them passed on an opportunity to maximize their own income at their job?

Always easy to be generous with someone else’s money I guess.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3663)