Nolan Ryan: talks with Prince Fielder are “very preliminary”

Jan 14, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

Prince Fielder

The Rangers met with Prince Fielder yesterday.  Exciting!  Maybe not too exciting, though.  “Keep your shirt on,” Nolan Ryan says:

Texas Rangers president Nolan Ryan describes the team’s discussions with free agent slugger Prince Fielder as “very preliminary” … During a question-and-answer session with fans at the team’s annual winter FanFest, Ryan said the meeting Friday was to try to get a true feel for what Fielder and Boras are thinking.

Hmm, wonder what Boras and Fielder are thinking?  I’ll give you three choices:

A)  “We would like an incentive-laden, short-term deal with a low base salary because we are fully aware of the risks inherent in any free agent signing and wish to put your mind at ease.”

B) “Look, this is all so complicated and subjective. Why don’t you tell us what you think Prince is worth.” or

C) Pay us pay us pay us pays us pay us pay us pay us pay us pay us.

At least I think those are all of the possibilities. Maybe they just wanted to see if the Rangers had Mavericks tickets they could use. I dunno.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I vote for C).

2. papacrick - Jan 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM

It would not be fair if he joined that lineup. The commissioner needs to step in and veto this deal

• 78mu - Jan 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM

The commissioner is not named David Stern or Bowie Kuhn so I doubt it would be stopped. And yes that would be an awesome lineup.

• baseballisboring - Jan 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM

They’re really becoming a powerhouse.

3. sumerduckman - Jan 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I have a pretty good idea what Nolan Ryan was thinking.

” It’s only 6 week ’till spring training, nobody has bit on Fielder, not even Ted Lerner, and damn he’s got more money than I’ll probably ever have. Wonder how much I can squeeze this Boras sombitch?”

4. natsattack - Jan 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I vote A!

5. ufullpj - Jan 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Prince is thinking….. Hmmm, 6 years and $120 Million from Milwaukee sounds pretty damn good right now.

6. bigdeal701 - Jan 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Funny how the Rangers where the laughing stock of MLB, now they are becoming a power house. Funny what an owner that knows baseball and a big TV deal will do to a team.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2862)