Jan 14, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Texas Rangers president Nolan Ryan describes the team’s discussions with free agent slugger Prince Fielder as “very preliminary” … During a question-and-answer session with fans at the team’s annual winter FanFest, Ryan said the meeting Friday was to try to get a true feel for what Fielder and Boras are thinking.
Hmm, wonder what Boras and Fielder are thinking? I’ll give you three choices:
A) “We would like an incentive-laden, short-term deal with a low base salary because we are fully aware of the risks inherent in any free agent signing and wish to put your mind at ease.”
B) “Look, this is all so complicated and subjective. Why don’t you tell us what you think Prince is worth.” or
C) Pay us pay us pay us pays us pay us pay us pay us pay us pay us.
At least I think those are all of the possibilities. Maybe they just wanted to see if the Rangers had Mavericks tickets they could use. I dunno.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (239)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)