R.A. Dickey has reached the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro

Jan 14, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT

Kilimanjaro

As we mentioned last week, R.A. Dickey (and Kevin Slowey, but no one seems to want to mention him) has been chronicling his ascent of Mount Kilimanjaro for the New York Times.  He has just put up another installment. This one is important. He has reached the peak.

Doing so wasn’t easy. As the climb reached the end exhaustion set in.  Dickey explains how he did his best to put it out of his mind:

I thought of my family back home playing games, and what the kids were doing in school. I began to think of the money we were raising to help the Bombay Teen Challenge. I visualized pitching to the all the teams in the N.L. East, batter by batter. I thought of anything I could to distract me from the misery I was in.

True fact: the Atlanta Braves’ lineup sees so few pitches that his visualizing of them only took him up 50 vertical feet, so I presume that the Phillies, Marlins, Nationals and his family did most of the heavy mental lifting for him.

Congratulations, R.A. Careful coming back down.

1. diehardcubbiefan4life - Jan 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

knuckleball pitchers are always awsome.

2. cur68 - Jan 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Cool. Good for RA Dickey, Kevin Slowey, everyone that supported them, and, most importantly, the Bombay Teen Challenge: as worthy a cause as there is. A tip O’ The Blue Jays cap to ya….

3. crisisjunky - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Amazin’ to think the greatest achievement for a Met all year is already accomplished
    3+weeks before Spring Training.

4. fearlessleader - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

As a Cardinal fan who came of age in the 1980s, I was raised to despise the Mets, and that’s been a tough prejudice to undo. But R.A. Dickey’s gone a long way (uh, literally) to prove to me that a Cardinal fan and a Mets pitcher CAN make it in this crazy world. Godspeed, buddy.

The team’s hand-wringing over his trip, by the way, has kind of stolen focus from the reason he went in the first place. If anyone’s interested, I wrote a little bit more about his connection with Bombay Teen Challenge and his specific goals for the money he’s raising here:

5. yankeesgameday - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Why climb a mountain when he could have gotten in the tub with Logan Morrison?

• jwbiii - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Better view.

6. contraryguy - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM

A uniformly positive, feel-good story from a pro athlete’s offseason. Better watch it, you’ll make the Internet implode with this stuff.

Having not been much above 10000 feet while hiking out west I can’t imagine doing this climb to 19000… props for gutting it out guys.

7. scareduck - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM

No one has explained what a knuckleballer was seeking at that altitude.

• crisisjunky - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM

studying wind effect

• Old Gator - Jan 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Hemingway reference. Good on ya, Murgatroyd.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I heard Dickey went up there on a quest in search of that ever elusive 88 mph fastball.

• Old Gator - Jan 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Great, except the Ancient Wise One lives on a mountain in Tibet.

8. billb09 - Jan 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM

WTG RA & Slowey. An amazing fete while most people sit on their duffs complaining you guys not only risked life & limb but your careers for a good cause. Proud to be a Met fan and prouder that RA Dickey is a Met.

• Old Gator - Jan 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I suspect he was trying to get himself traded….

9. phatnate - Jan 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM

How Tebow esque of him.

• Old Gator - Jan 15, 2012 at 7:25 AM

And so much for all those morons who actually thought that God was helping Tebow win his games, eh? I guess one of the two greatest guys in the universe must have lost interest yesterday.

10. randygnyc - Jan 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Considering he’s on the mets, this will be his only chance to “be on top” (except on the 2nd Tuesday of every month with his boyfriend)

• jwbiii - Jan 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Perhaps you have confused Dickey’s personal life with your own.

11. deepstblu - Jan 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Is it just me, or does the headline have a sort of old-time quality about it? “We interrupt this broadcast to bring you this bulletin just received by wireless telegraph. R.A. Dickey has reached the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro. We now return you to your previous program. This is the Red Network of the National Broadcasting Company.”

In other news, what will the theme music for R.A.’s appearances be this season? “Climb Ev’ry Mountain?” “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough?” “River Deep, Mountain High?”

12. aceshigh11 - Jan 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Did he try tossing a knuckleball off the summit to see how it danced in such a low-pressure atmosphere?

13. lostsok - Jan 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Major props to RA for risking so much and suffering for a good cause. The world needs more just like him.

• Old Gator - Jan 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Actually, the world needs more lefthanded power pitchers coming out of the bullpen. One R. A. Dickey impersonating Heisenberg from the mound is enough.

• Old Gator - Jan 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Thumbs down: I bet you don’t even understand what I just wrote. Go on now – run along and search “Heisenberg” in Wikipedia.

14. mojosmagic - Jan 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

He will either be in the”best shape of his life”, or the worst.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2478)