Jan 14, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
We heard last week that the Orioles were interested in Alfonso Soriano. Turns out that there isn’t much to that because, as Jon Paul Morosi reports, there have been no real substantive talks between the clubs.
The reason: Soriano has a no-trade clause (both in his contract and now an automatic one due to him being a 10/5 guy) and he’s not going to waive it except to go to a contender. Maybe that’s chutzpah on his part, but it is his right.
Anyway, as we mentioned yesterday, the O’s seem to have moved on, what with their reported interest in Johnny Damon, who would basically serve the same purpose as Soriano: DH and occasional substandard left field duty while reminding people that, man, aging is hard.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 91
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 138
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 70
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (138)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)