Jan 14, 2012, 6:00 PM EST
We heard last week that the Orioles were interested in Alfonso Soriano. Turns out that there isn’t much to that because, as Jon Paul Morosi reports, there have been no real substantive talks between the clubs.
The reason: Soriano has a no-trade clause (both in his contract and now an automatic one due to him being a 10/5 guy) and he’s not going to waive it except to go to a contender. Maybe that’s chutzpah on his part, but it is his right.
Anyway, as we mentioned yesterday, the O’s seem to have moved on, what with their reported interest in Johnny Damon, who would basically serve the same purpose as Soriano: DH and occasional substandard left field duty while reminding people that, man, aging is hard.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)