Jan 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
No, not the financial vault, which I’m sure is impressive too. But the information vault, which Mike Axisa of River Ave. Blues notes kept any hint of the Pineda/Montero deal or the Hirkoi Kuroda signing from leaking out until after they were already done:
I’ll close with this: it never ceases to amaze me how the Yankees — in the biggest media market in the sport — manage to pull off these deals with no leaks. Pretty much everything they do is a surprise. We heard nothing about their interest in Pineda until after the trade was made, and although we knew they liked Kuroda, we never heard they were close to a deal.
It is uncanny. And kind of cool. I mean, we write about everything here from weak rumors to the biggest issues of the day because there is an audience for all of it and we want to serve the audience. But the weak rumor stuff is probably the least fun for us as bloggers to write about. When a deal goes down, however, it’s really cool and fun. Not that you all should care. Just sayin’.
Anyway, my biggest regret in all of this is that I was offline last night when this went down. The Yankees trading a slugger to the Mariners was a prime opportunity for me to link this bad boy. And I just whiffed. So think of “the vault” as a secondary, half-assed Seinfeld reference.
In other news, I am very old and I must sound like my parents did when they talked about “M*A*S*H” all the time when I as a kid.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)