Jan 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
No, not the financial vault, which I’m sure is impressive too. But the information vault, which Mike Axisa of River Ave. Blues notes kept any hint of the Pineda/Montero deal or the Hirkoi Kuroda signing from leaking out until after they were already done:
I’ll close with this: it never ceases to amaze me how the Yankees — in the biggest media market in the sport — manage to pull off these deals with no leaks. Pretty much everything they do is a surprise. We heard nothing about their interest in Pineda until after the trade was made, and although we knew they liked Kuroda, we never heard they were close to a deal.
It is uncanny. And kind of cool. I mean, we write about everything here from weak rumors to the biggest issues of the day because there is an audience for all of it and we want to serve the audience. But the weak rumor stuff is probably the least fun for us as bloggers to write about. When a deal goes down, however, it’s really cool and fun. Not that you all should care. Just sayin’.
Anyway, my biggest regret in all of this is that I was offline last night when this went down. The Yankees trading a slugger to the Mariners was a prime opportunity for me to link this bad boy. And I just whiffed. So think of “the vault” as a secondary, half-assed Seinfeld reference.
In other news, I am very old and I must sound like my parents did when they talked about “M*A*S*H” all the time when I as a kid.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)