Jan 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
No, not the financial vault, which I’m sure is impressive too. But the information vault, which Mike Axisa of River Ave. Blues notes kept any hint of the Pineda/Montero deal or the Hirkoi Kuroda signing from leaking out until after they were already done:
I’ll close with this: it never ceases to amaze me how the Yankees — in the biggest media market in the sport — manage to pull off these deals with no leaks. Pretty much everything they do is a surprise. We heard nothing about their interest in Pineda until after the trade was made, and although we knew they liked Kuroda, we never heard they were close to a deal.
It is uncanny. And kind of cool. I mean, we write about everything here from weak rumors to the biggest issues of the day because there is an audience for all of it and we want to serve the audience. But the weak rumor stuff is probably the least fun for us as bloggers to write about. When a deal goes down, however, it’s really cool and fun. Not that you all should care. Just sayin’.
Anyway, my biggest regret in all of this is that I was offline last night when this went down. The Yankees trading a slugger to the Mariners was a prime opportunity for me to link this bad boy. And I just whiffed. So think of “the vault” as a secondary, half-assed Seinfeld reference.
In other news, I am very old and I must sound like my parents did when they talked about “M*A*S*H” all the time when I as a kid.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)