Jan 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
No, not the financial vault, which I’m sure is impressive too. But the information vault, which Mike Axisa of River Ave. Blues notes kept any hint of the Pineda/Montero deal or the Hirkoi Kuroda signing from leaking out until after they were already done:
I’ll close with this: it never ceases to amaze me how the Yankees — in the biggest media market in the sport — manage to pull off these deals with no leaks. Pretty much everything they do is a surprise. We heard nothing about their interest in Pineda until after the trade was made, and although we knew they liked Kuroda, we never heard they were close to a deal.
It is uncanny. And kind of cool. I mean, we write about everything here from weak rumors to the biggest issues of the day because there is an audience for all of it and we want to serve the audience. But the weak rumor stuff is probably the least fun for us as bloggers to write about. When a deal goes down, however, it’s really cool and fun. Not that you all should care. Just sayin’.
Anyway, my biggest regret in all of this is that I was offline last night when this went down. The Yankees trading a slugger to the Mariners was a prime opportunity for me to link this bad boy. And I just whiffed. So think of “the vault” as a secondary, half-assed Seinfeld reference.
In other news, I am very old and I must sound like my parents did when they talked about “M*A*S*H” all the time when I as a kid.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)