The Yankees vault is impressive

Jan 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Image (1) yankee%20stadium.jpg for post 4012

No, not the financial vault, which I’m sure is impressive too. But the information vault, which Mike Axisa of River Ave. Blues notes kept any hint of the Pineda/Montero deal or the Hirkoi Kuroda signing from leaking out until after they were already done:

I’ll close with this: it never ceases to amaze me how the Yankees — in the biggest media market in the sport — manage to pull off these deals with no leaks. Pretty much everything they do is a surprise. We heard nothing about their interest in Pineda until after the trade was made, and although we knew they liked Kuroda, we never heard they were close to a deal.

It is uncanny. And kind of cool.  I mean, we write about everything here from weak rumors to the biggest issues of the day because there is an audience for all of it and we want to serve the audience. But the weak rumor stuff is probably the least fun for us as bloggers to write about. When a deal goes down, however, it’s really cool and fun. Not that you all should care. Just sayin’.

Anyway, my biggest regret in all of this is that I was offline last night when this went down. The Yankees trading a slugger to the Mariners was a prime opportunity for me to link this bad boy. And I just whiffed. So think of “the vault” as a secondary, half-assed Seinfeld reference.

In other news, I am very old and I must sound like my parents did when they talked about “M*A*S*H” all the time when I as a kid.

1. Ben - Jan 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM

“The vault” is already a Seinfeld reference. It’s where Elaine puts secrets. Jerry responds: “No good. Too many people know the combination” (while making drinking motions). So, what you’re saying is, never tell Elaine about potential trades?

2. Kyle - Jan 14, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The most important consequence of that Buhner trade was the tradition of Buhner Buzz Cut Night. People will do anything for free stuff.

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Granted I had to look up who Jay Buhner was the first time I saw that, but it was still instantly one of my favourite Frank Costanza scenes. Never gets old either.

4. randygnyc - Jan 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

The Pineda trade info was on lock down, mandated by the Yankees, because of the leak during the cliff lee trade that enabled the rangers to engage AFTER the Yankees had an agreement in place. I’m sure the M’s were warned.

5. shawnuel - Jan 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM

In his short time in Seattle, Zduriencik has a reputation as being very tight lipped. I’m sure he was as instrumental in keeping this quiet as the Yankees were.

And I think the Rangers were contacted after Seattle took a look at Adam’s medicals and decided to ask for another piece (reportedly Nunez or Nova) instead. They were shot down and decided to see what they could extract from the Rangers. Adams STILL isn’t healthy, having played 1 game since that time.

6. mtreder1 - Jan 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM

You’re not seriously old unless all of your TV sitcom references are to “The Honeymooners.”

7. foreverchipper10 - Jan 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Seinfeld references shouldn’t make you feel old. I am 28 and use them all the time.

Three legends off to Cooperstown