Jan 14, 2012, 10:09 PM EST
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters back in November that Daniel Descalso had a leg up on starting second base duties.
But the 25-year-old is far from locked into that role.
Greene has played primarily at shortstop since being selected 30th overall in the 2005 MLB Amateur Draft, but Rafael Furcal was brought back on a two-year, $14 million contract this winter and will be in the starting lineup whenever he’s healthy.
Greene, 28, batted .323/.422/.579 with 14 home runs and 19 stolen bases in 66 games last year at Triple-A Memphis. Mozeliak called him an “unbelievable talent” when addressing fans at Saturday’s Warm-Up.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 152
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (152)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (90)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)