Jan 14, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters back in November that Daniel Descalso had a leg up on starting second base duties.
But the 25-year-old is far from locked into that role.
Greene has played primarily at shortstop since being selected 30th overall in the 2005 MLB Amateur Draft, but Rafael Furcal was brought back on a two-year, $14 million contract this winter and will be in the starting lineup whenever he’s healthy.
Greene, 28, batted .323/.422/.579 with 14 home runs and 19 stolen bases in 66 games last year at Triple-A Memphis. Mozeliak called him an “unbelievable talent” when addressing fans at Saturday’s Warm-Up.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)