Jan 14, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters back in November that Daniel Descalso had a leg up on starting second base duties.
But the 25-year-old is far from locked into that role.
Greene has played primarily at shortstop since being selected 30th overall in the 2005 MLB Amateur Draft, but Rafael Furcal was brought back on a two-year, $14 million contract this winter and will be in the starting lineup whenever he’s healthy.
Greene, 28, batted .323/.422/.579 with 14 home runs and 19 stolen bases in 66 games last year at Triple-A Memphis. Mozeliak called him an “unbelievable talent” when addressing fans at Saturday’s Warm-Up.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)