Jan 14, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters back in November that Daniel Descalso had a leg up on starting second base duties.
But the 25-year-old is far from locked into that role.
Greene has played primarily at shortstop since being selected 30th overall in the 2005 MLB Amateur Draft, but Rafael Furcal was brought back on a two-year, $14 million contract this winter and will be in the starting lineup whenever he’s healthy.
Greene, 28, batted .323/.422/.579 with 14 home runs and 19 stolen bases in 66 games last year at Triple-A Memphis. Mozeliak called him an “unbelievable talent” when addressing fans at Saturday’s Warm-Up.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)