Jan 14, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters back in November that Daniel Descalso had a leg up on starting second base duties.
But the 25-year-old is far from locked into that role.
Greene has played primarily at shortstop since being selected 30th overall in the 2005 MLB Amateur Draft, but Rafael Furcal was brought back on a two-year, $14 million contract this winter and will be in the starting lineup whenever he’s healthy.
Greene, 28, batted .323/.422/.579 with 14 home runs and 19 stolen bases in 66 games last year at Triple-A Memphis. Mozeliak called him an “unbelievable talent” when addressing fans at Saturday’s Warm-Up.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)