Jan 15, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright is over 10 months removed from Tommy John surgery and has not experienced any sort of setback. He recently shifted his rehab base to the team’s spring training facilities in Jupiter, Florida and is expecting to be at full strength by the time St. Louis’ other pitchers arrive.
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak has been saying that Wainwright will be limited to around 150-170 innings this season as a precautionary strategy, but the 30-year-old right-hander is hoping to defy that.
Here’s Wainwright, speaking Saturday at the Cardinals’ Winter Warm-Up (via MLB.com’s Jen Langosch):
“One hundred and fifty innings sounds like half a season to me,” said the 2010 NL Cy Young Award runner-up. “Any pitcher that is out there competing [his] tail off and is decent at what he does should throw more than 150 innings. That would never ever be a goal of mine. I kind of refrain from setting inning goals, especially this year.”
Wainwright posted a 2.42 ERA and 213/56 K/BB ratio across 230 1/3 innings in 2010, and a 2.63 ERA and 212/66 K/BB ratio over 233 innings in 2009. He’s averaged 199 innings per year since the ’07 season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)