Jan 15, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
Gonzalez was sent from Oakland to Washington three weeks ago for top prospects Tommy Milone, Brad Peacock, Derek Norris and A.J. Cole.
The 26-year-old starter was eligible for salary arbitration for the first time this winter and stood to make a significant raise over the $420,000 league-minimum wage that he earned in 2011. This new contract with the Nats covers all of his years of arbitration eligibility and also buys out his first year of free agency.
Gonzalez posted a spectacular 3.12 ERA in 32 starts last season for the A’s, striking out 197 batters in 202 innings. He holds a 3.93 career ERA over parts of four seasons. No word yet on the financial terms.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)