Jan 15, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
Gonzalez was sent from Oakland to Washington three weeks ago for top prospects Tommy Milone, Brad Peacock, Derek Norris and A.J. Cole.
The 26-year-old starter was eligible for salary arbitration for the first time this winter and stood to make a significant raise over the $420,000 league-minimum wage that he earned in 2011. This new contract with the Nats covers all of his years of arbitration eligibility and also buys out his first year of free agency.
Gonzalez posted a spectacular 3.12 ERA in 32 starts last season for the A’s, striking out 197 batters in 202 innings. He holds a 3.93 career ERA over parts of four seasons. No word yet on the financial terms.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)