Jan 15, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Free agent first baseman Prince Fielder has been travelling around the baseball world with his agent, Scott Boras, visiting teams who have expressed interest — mild or serious — in signing him.
The 27-year-old met with Rangers executives on Friday in Dallas, and it apparently went swimmingly.
Here’s the tweet from ESPN’s Jim Bowden:
Rangers president Nolan Ryan told reporters recently that his team’s pursuit of Fielder is in a “very preliminary” stage, but if Bowden’s information is correct, and Texas can afford to fit both Darvish and Fielder into its budget, perhaps negotiations will soon grow more serious. How ’bout this AL West?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)