Jan 15, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
Free agent first baseman Prince Fielder has been travelling around the baseball world with his agent, Scott Boras, visiting teams who have expressed interest — mild or serious — in signing him.
The 27-year-old met with Rangers executives on Friday in Dallas, and it apparently went swimmingly.
Here’s the tweet from ESPN’s Jim Bowden:
Rangers president Nolan Ryan told reporters recently that his team’s pursuit of Fielder is in a “very preliminary” stage, but if Bowden’s information is correct, and Texas can afford to fit both Darvish and Fielder into its budget, perhaps negotiations will soon grow more serious. How ’bout this AL West?
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 61
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)