Jan 15, 2012, 10:05 AM EST
But that’s suddenly just three days away.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the two sides are disagreeing on the amount of years — not the amount of dollars — that will frame Darvish’s first major league contract. Darvish’s camp wants the deal to be for five years so that he can hit free agency sooner and possibly cash in again, and the Rangers want to lock him up for six to maximize the value of their record $51,703,411 posting fee.
It still seems like a given that one side will eventually cave and that a compromise will be reached. Darvish probably isn’t interested in returning to Nippon Professional Baseball, and the Rangers wouldn’t have made such an aggressive push for the 25-year-old right-hander if they weren’t enamored with him.
Darvish, who stands 6′ 5″, posted a 1.44 ERA and 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings last season in NPB.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)