Jan 16, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
Smith is a solid platoon starter versus right-handed pitching, but he’s struggled against lefties and hasn’t hit much away from Coors Field. During the past three seasons Smith has batted .302 with a .935 OPS at home, compared to just .248 with a .736 OPS on the road.
Oakland was short on experienced (or even sort-of-experienced) starters as is, so parting with Moscoso and Outman leaves them with a very thin rotation. Moscoso pitched well as a 27-year-old rookie for the A’s, tossing 128 innings with a 3.38 ERA and 74/38 K/BB ratio. Outman has struggled to stay healthy, but the 27-year-old southpaw has good raw stuff and a 3.75 ERA in 151 career innings.
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 9
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 345
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (345)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (171)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)