Jan 16, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
Smith is a solid platoon starter versus right-handed pitching, but he’s struggled against lefties and hasn’t hit much away from Coors Field. During the past three seasons Smith has batted .302 with a .935 OPS at home, compared to just .248 with a .736 OPS on the road.
Oakland was short on experienced (or even sort-of-experienced) starters as is, so parting with Moscoso and Outman leaves them with a very thin rotation. Moscoso pitched well as a 27-year-old rookie for the A’s, tossing 128 innings with a 3.38 ERA and 74/38 K/BB ratio. Outman has struggled to stay healthy, but the 27-year-old southpaw has good raw stuff and a 3.75 ERA in 151 career innings.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 36
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 74
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)