Jan 16, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
Morgan began last season in a backup role for the Brewers after coming over in spring training trade from the Nationals, but Carlos Gomez‘s injury opened up the door for him to become the starting center fielder and Morgan hit .304 with a .778 OPS in 119 games.
He was arbitration eligible for the first time after earning $450,000 in 2011, so Morgan gets a five-fold raise and will be under team control for two more seasons. Milwaukee previously avoided arbitration with Gomez by signing him for $1.95 million, but Morgan is expected to be the Opening Day starter.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4