Jan 16, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Joel Pineiro just completed a two-year, $16 million contract with the Angels, but he posted a 5.13 ERA in 146 innings last season and Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that he’s had to settle for a minor-league deal with the Phillies.
No official announcement has been made yet, but according to Stark the contract includes an invitation to spring training.
Even if Pineiro had zero big-league contracts on the table choosing the Phillies is an odd decision, as they have a fully stocked rotation and a sixth starter, Kyle Kendrick, under contract for $3.5 million despite likely being bullpen bound. Of course, the fact that guys like Pineiro are available for non-guaranteed minor-league contracts is also why giving $3.5 million to guys like Kendrick is such an iffy move in itself.
Pineiro had shoulder problems last season and a minuscule strikeout rate has made it tough for him to maintain a good performance year-to-year, but he induces plenty of ground balls and has a 4.06 ERA in 512 innings during the past three seasons.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)