Josh Hamilton’s father-in-law will not be his accountability partner

Jan 16, 2012, 8:09 PM EDT

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

It was announced less than two weeks ago that Josh Hamilton‘s father-in-law, Michael Dean Chadwick, would replace new Brewers hitting coach Jerry Narron as the outfielder’s accountability partner for the 2012 season. However, Chadwick has experienced a change of heart since the announcement, recently informing Hamilton and the team that he couldn’t accept the job.

Here’s what Chadwick told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas earlier this evening:

“It was a tough, tough deal,” Chadwick said. “I let my heart get away with me. I wanted to go and be there for Josh. But I’ve got a 17-year-old daughter at home that needs me too and I’m a homebuilder and have a company here. I sort of put the cart before the horse. It was heartbreaking to call them and say, ‘Guys, I can’t do it.'”

Chadwick added that he doesn’t think Hamilton needs someone specific to watch over him on the road. In fact, the recovering addict has gone out on certain road trips in the past without the presence of Narron. Still, Durrett was told that the Rangers plan for Hamilton to have an accountability partner this season.

1. randygnyc - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Obviously, this leads me to believe that josh’s marriage is on the rocks. Shame, really, when you’re on father in law doesn’t want to help you succeed. Now with Fielder in the mix, well, I feel a personal implosion pending.

I hope Ron Washington has enough sense to not smoke crack in front of this man.

• lewp - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Wow Randy, you seem to know lots of personal stuff about Josh, even how his marriage is going. Judging by the last 3 initials in your name, I kind of get where you are from and why you are down on Josh…the Yankees can’t buy success can they?

• bloodysock - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Hmmm, and I thought his user ID meant meant he was a randy gynecologist.

• mirmz - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM

If this is true, it confirms my years-long suspicions: only a dork spends hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of his life to get a certificate that finally allows him to look at pussy.

• henryd3rd - Jan 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Low Blow! No pun intended; but Randy that was uncalled for. In the past Washington did have his problems; but in no way should one make fun at the expense of someone who is is battling their own personal demons?

• lyon810 - Jan 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Never seen anyone get 100 thumbs down before lol

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Look at some of the crap phillieschamps2012 said late last week.

• wegonnadoitbaby - Jan 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

All,

Please ignore this man’s jackassery.

2. mirmz - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

First of all – Randy, you’re speculating more than a drunken 1970s weatherman.

Second, and most important, the worlds greatest accountabilabuddy-job is open. Gentlemen, start your applications.

3. ajsjr40 - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Tim Tebows season is over what a great accountability partner he would be.

• trevorb06 - Jan 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

This would actually be a match made in heaven. Heavy pun also intended. But then come playoff time Hamilton would need to find a replacement as (let’s not kid ourselves) Texas will probably be in the playoffs.

4. lovesmesomeme - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

What kind of an idiot thinks that because the guy says he has to take care of his family and his business, his son-in laws marriage is in trouble?

5. randygnyc - Jan 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Chadwick recommended Lenny Dykstra as a replacement. What does that tell you?

• lewp - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM

More gossip Randy?

• jwbiii - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Don’t feed the trolls unless you’ve thoroughly soaked the meat in antifreeze fluid.

6. mojosmagic - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I know Randy and he lost his medical license for having sex in the office with an under age patient. His wife’s sued for divorce and got everything. Randy is now working as a geriatric nurse in the Bronx.

• stex52 - Jan 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Like the man says, don’t feed the trolls.

7. randygnyc - Jan 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Mojo, if all you wrote was true, I’d currently be at the top of the list to be Josh’s accounta-budy.

8. randygnyc - Jan 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Only a dork thinks a gynecologist is shortened to gnyc, instead of ob-gyn.

9. jason1214 - Jan 16, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Accountability partner? really Josh Hamilton? what a clown.

10. pmad1 - Jan 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM

why wouldn’t the TX Rangers just hire someone? teams have hired full time translaters for some of the foreigners……and what 17 year old girl doesn’t need father.

11. joshherbst - Jan 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Jerry Narron has been the bench coach for the Brewers since they hired Ron Roenicke before last year. Johnny Narron is the one who was Hamilton’s accountability partner and just got hired as Brewers hitting coach.

12. schlom - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I think the preferred term is Accountabilibuddy –

• wegonnadoitbaby - Jan 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

BUTTERS WHERE ARE YOU!!!

13. sfm073 - Jan 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM

He’s 30 years old and has been clean for 6 years and still needs someone to watch over him?

14. azvikefan - Jan 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

You guys are tough on Randy today. I think he’s hilarious. Thumbs up from me today Randy.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3607)