Jan 16, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Murray Chass has a blog post up over at his blog because he’s a blogger. It’s about the Hall of Fame. After a lot of words about Jack Morris and steroids dudes that are pretty redundant in light of everything else you’ve read in the past couple of months, he explains why he will never vote for a full slate of ten names on the Hall of Fame ballot.
And it’s not necessarily because he thinks there will never be ten worthy names at once. It’s a procedural thing:
When I voted for the first time, I submitted a full ballot, all 10 lines filled with names. By the time I voted a year later, I had reconsidered what I had done. In voting for 10 players, I was saying in essence I wanted to see 10 players inducted into the Hall at the same time.
How foolish, I realized. Having 10 players enter the Hall at the same time would detract from the honor for each player. In addition, the induction ceremony would take forever and require a break for dinner.
Well, dinner is important.
But it is awful amazing how far away from “baseball merit” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a player worthy of a vote.
It’s also amazing how far away we are from “coherence” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a voter worthy of his vote.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)