Murray Chass, his dinner and the Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Jan 16, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT

Murray Chass

Murray Chass has a blog post up over at his blog because he’s a blogger. It’s about the Hall of Fame. After a lot of words about Jack Morris and steroids dudes that are pretty redundant in light of everything else you’ve read in the past couple of months, he explains why he will never vote for a full slate of ten names on the Hall of Fame ballot.

And it’s not necessarily because he thinks there will never be ten worthy names at once. It’s a procedural thing:

When I voted for the first time, I submitted a full ballot, all 10 lines filled with names. By the time I voted a year later, I had reconsidered what I had done. In voting for 10 players, I was saying in essence I wanted to see 10 players inducted into the Hall at the same time.

How foolish, I realized. Having 10 players enter the Hall at the same time would detract from the honor for each player. In addition, the induction ceremony would take forever and require a break for dinner.

Well, dinner is important.

But it is awful amazing how far away from “baseball merit” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a player worthy of a vote.

It’s also amazing how far away we are from “coherence” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a voter worthy of his vote.

(via NotGraphs)

1. Ari Collins - Jan 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

All you need to know about Murray Chass you can read at Fire Joe Morgan.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Also being quoted by NotGraphs is damning enough as well.

2. trevorb06 - Jan 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Do we have our first nominee for nozzle of the year?

• mcsnide - Jan 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Not to speak for El Bravo, but I think he’s already been putting people on the list.

3. adenzeno - Jan 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

” In addition, the induction ceremony would take forever and require a break for dinner.

It IS possible he was trying to be funny, but it certainly didnt work. If he is/was serious, then that
    is just an incredibly stupid reason..

4. dwrek5 - Jan 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM

We got 1 in this year. We are a long ways from getting 10 in at once… Rest easy Mr Chass.

5. cur68 - Jan 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

This Murray Chass guy gives bloggers a bad name. No thought in his writing whatsoever. In George Vecsey’s day, this stuff would not be allowed.

6. nategearhart - Jan 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I saw this the other day and damn near threw up. Talk about getting a big head from one’s having a vote. Apparently the first question he asks himself about a player’s “worthiness” is whether or not that player’s induction would inconvenience him for a few hours.
    I tell ya, if I was anyone not named Jack Morris spending year after year in ballot limbo I’d be pretty pissed about this. Just think, apparently a factor keeping Tim Raines out of the hall is that at least a few writers would rather not have to sit still long enough to watch him inducted. How’s this for an idea, Chass: DON’T FUCKING GO.

7. paperlions - Jan 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM

In his defense, Chass probably usually has dinner around 4 pm.

8. Chipmaker - Jan 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Were ten candidates elected and every one got to deliver a speech, that would not detract from the honor of the Hall.

It would detract from the ceremony, maybe. But that’s just one midsummer day. The plaques stand forever.

9. butchhuskey - Jan 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM

The main reason Mike Piazza is under steroid suspicion is because this numbskull saw acne on his back. Seriously, Murray? This guy has the weirdest obsession with “backne” I have ever seen in my life.

10. uuddlrlrbastart - Jan 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM

He’s right. I think we’re better off with more players falling off the ballot and getting stuck in Veterans Committee Limbo than voting for too many. Sure, the occasional deserving player might die before getting elected, but it sure as hell beats and a long dinner. Voting for the Hall is hard!

11. bobwsc - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

puts the ‘ass’ in Chass.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3261)