Jan 16, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Murray Chass has a blog post up over at his blog because he’s a blogger. It’s about the Hall of Fame. After a lot of words about Jack Morris and steroids dudes that are pretty redundant in light of everything else you’ve read in the past couple of months, he explains why he will never vote for a full slate of ten names on the Hall of Fame ballot.
And it’s not necessarily because he thinks there will never be ten worthy names at once. It’s a procedural thing:
When I voted for the first time, I submitted a full ballot, all 10 lines filled with names. By the time I voted a year later, I had reconsidered what I had done. In voting for 10 players, I was saying in essence I wanted to see 10 players inducted into the Hall at the same time.
How foolish, I realized. Having 10 players enter the Hall at the same time would detract from the honor for each player. In addition, the induction ceremony would take forever and require a break for dinner.
Well, dinner is important.
But it is awful amazing how far away from “baseball merit” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a player worthy of a vote.
It’s also amazing how far away we are from “coherence” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a voter worthy of his vote.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 8
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 94
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (95)