Jan 16, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Murray Chass has a blog post up over at his blog because he’s a blogger. It’s about the Hall of Fame. After a lot of words about Jack Morris and steroids dudes that are pretty redundant in light of everything else you’ve read in the past couple of months, he explains why he will never vote for a full slate of ten names on the Hall of Fame ballot.
And it’s not necessarily because he thinks there will never be ten worthy names at once. It’s a procedural thing:
When I voted for the first time, I submitted a full ballot, all 10 lines filled with names. By the time I voted a year later, I had reconsidered what I had done. In voting for 10 players, I was saying in essence I wanted to see 10 players inducted into the Hall at the same time.
How foolish, I realized. Having 10 players enter the Hall at the same time would detract from the honor for each player. In addition, the induction ceremony would take forever and require a break for dinner.
Well, dinner is important.
But it is awful amazing how far away from “baseball merit” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a player worthy of a vote.
It’s also amazing how far away we are from “coherence” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a voter worthy of his vote.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)