Jan 16, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Murray Chass has a blog post up over at his blog because he’s a blogger. It’s about the Hall of Fame. After a lot of words about Jack Morris and steroids dudes that are pretty redundant in light of everything else you’ve read in the past couple of months, he explains why he will never vote for a full slate of ten names on the Hall of Fame ballot.
And it’s not necessarily because he thinks there will never be ten worthy names at once. It’s a procedural thing:
When I voted for the first time, I submitted a full ballot, all 10 lines filled with names. By the time I voted a year later, I had reconsidered what I had done. In voting for 10 players, I was saying in essence I wanted to see 10 players inducted into the Hall at the same time.
How foolish, I realized. Having 10 players enter the Hall at the same time would detract from the honor for each player. In addition, the induction ceremony would take forever and require a break for dinner.
Well, dinner is important.
But it is awful amazing how far away from “baseball merit” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a player worthy of a vote.
It’s also amazing how far away we are from “coherence” we’re getting when it comes to what makes a voter worthy of his vote.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)