Jan 16, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
For a fourth outfielder $2.4 million would be expensive, so the Rockies may continue to shop Smith after getting him under contract for 2012.
His raw numbers are inflated by Coors Field and Smith has never really hit left-handed pitching, but he’s a career .292 hitter with an .881 OPS versus right-handers and would make for a nice (and fairly cheap) platoon starter on a lot of teams.
UPDATE: That was fast. Smith has been traded to the A’s for a pair of pitchers.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 8
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 74
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 61
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)