Jan 16, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
For a fourth outfielder $2.4 million would be expensive, so the Rockies may continue to shop Smith after getting him under contract for 2012.
His raw numbers are inflated by Coors Field and Smith has never really hit left-handed pitching, but he’s a career .292 hitter with an .881 OPS versus right-handers and would make for a nice (and fairly cheap) platoon starter on a lot of teams.
UPDATE: That was fast. Smith has been traded to the A’s for a pair of pitchers.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)