Jan 16, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
We’ve talked about the impending logjam on the Hall of Fame ballot going forward by virtue of all of the PED-associated players wading in starting next year. The upshot: Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa and others hanging around on the ballot for a long time, not getting enough support themselves while stealing support from others.
One thing some folks have worried about is this logjam giving us several years in which no one is elected, which would be bad for the Hall of Fame and, frankly, would just be stupid overall as an entire era of the game would be unrepresented.
But never fear, says Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times: despite the potential for what he calls “the nightmare scenario” of no one being elected, there will be enough support to go around where there will be at least someone elected every year:
From the point of view of Cooperstown, though, the nightmare scenario shouldn’t happen. You’ll get at least one new candidate making it in every year. In 2016, when the glut finally subsides a little bit, Ken Griffey, Jr. should make it in, along with at least one guy from the massive backlog, most like [Frank] Thomas (if he hasn’t gone in already).
Jaffe’s Hall of Fame vote projections have been pretty solid over the past couple of years. As such, his projections here should be the first place people go when they want to talk about what’s gonna happen with the Hall of Fame ballot going forward.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (121)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)