Jan 16, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
I put the headline that way because, really, there’s not much in this story to suggest that the Yankees are considering him nearly as much as the Daily News is.
The headline: “Yankees may bring back free agent Johnny Damon to play him as designated hitter.” If you read the story, however, the basis for this is (a) the Yankees don’t have a set DH yet; and (b) Johnny Damon is capable of playing DH:
While a return to New York for Johnny Damon is possible, it is far from imminent. According to one source, the Yankees “haven’t evaluated our options or preferences yet”
Not that it couldn’t happen. Anything could happen and the Yankees could do worse than giving Damon a one-year deal. There’s just no suggestion in the story at all that anyone in a position to do anything about it is, you know, actually considering it.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (74)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (70)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)