Jan 16, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
I put the headline that way because, really, there’s not much in this story to suggest that the Yankees are considering him nearly as much as the Daily News is.
The headline: “Yankees may bring back free agent Johnny Damon to play him as designated hitter.” If you read the story, however, the basis for this is (a) the Yankees don’t have a set DH yet; and (b) Johnny Damon is capable of playing DH:
While a return to New York for Johnny Damon is possible, it is far from imminent. According to one source, the Yankees “haven’t evaluated our options or preferences yet”
Not that it couldn’t happen. Anything could happen and the Yankees could do worse than giving Damon a one-year deal. There’s just no suggestion in the story at all that anyone in a position to do anything about it is, you know, actually considering it.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69