Jan 16, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
I put the headline that way because, really, there’s not much in this story to suggest that the Yankees are considering him nearly as much as the Daily News is.
The headline: “Yankees may bring back free agent Johnny Damon to play him as designated hitter.” If you read the story, however, the basis for this is (a) the Yankees don’t have a set DH yet; and (b) Johnny Damon is capable of playing DH:
While a return to New York for Johnny Damon is possible, it is far from imminent. According to one source, the Yankees “haven’t evaluated our options or preferences yet”
Not that it couldn’t happen. Anything could happen and the Yankees could do worse than giving Damon a one-year deal. There’s just no suggestion in the story at all that anyone in a position to do anything about it is, you know, actually considering it.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)