Jan 16, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mystery solved: Renck has updated his story: the mystery pitcher to whom the Rockies have made an offer is … Jamie Moyer. The offer is for a minor league deal.
I picture him taking off a Mexican-style wrestling mask to reveal his identity. Except he doesn’t look like a Mexican wrestler because he’s 49 years old and was never all that buff to begin with.
Anyway, Moyer is trying to latch back on after taking a year off for Tommy John surgery. He went 9-9 with a 4.84 ERA with Philadelphia in 2010 and if he comes to Colorado he could theoretically compete for a rotation spot.
Have left arm, will travel.
4:12 PM: Troy Renck of the Denver Post says that the Rockies have made an offer to a starting pitcher. But who could it be? It’s a mystery!
The Rockies are also closing in on signing a veteran starter, creating more depth for a young rotation … O’Dowd declined to reveal the name of the veteran starter that he extended an offer to, only to say it’s not Kevin Millwood.
In other news, “veteran starters who are not Kevin Millwood” would make a great category if they brought back “The $25,000 Pyramid.” I can just picture Nipsy Russell giving: “Ahh, Roy Oswalt … Edwin Jackson … Jeff Francis … Aaron Cook … PASS!! PASS!”
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 147
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (149)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)