Jan 16, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mystery solved: Renck has updated his story: the mystery pitcher to whom the Rockies have made an offer is … Jamie Moyer. The offer is for a minor league deal.
I picture him taking off a Mexican-style wrestling mask to reveal his identity. Except he doesn’t look like a Mexican wrestler because he’s 49 years old and was never all that buff to begin with.
Anyway, Moyer is trying to latch back on after taking a year off for Tommy John surgery. He went 9-9 with a 4.84 ERA with Philadelphia in 2010 and if he comes to Colorado he could theoretically compete for a rotation spot.
Have left arm, will travel.
4:12 PM: Troy Renck of the Denver Post says that the Rockies have made an offer to a starting pitcher. But who could it be? It’s a mystery!
The Rockies are also closing in on signing a veteran starter, creating more depth for a young rotation … O’Dowd declined to reveal the name of the veteran starter that he extended an offer to, only to say it’s not Kevin Millwood.
In other news, “veteran starters who are not Kevin Millwood” would make a great category if they brought back “The $25,000 Pyramid.” I can just picture Nipsy Russell giving: “Ahh, Roy Oswalt … Edwin Jackson … Jeff Francis … Aaron Cook … PASS!! PASS!”
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 0
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)