Jan 16, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mystery solved: Renck has updated his story: the mystery pitcher to whom the Rockies have made an offer is … Jamie Moyer. The offer is for a minor league deal.
I picture him taking off a Mexican-style wrestling mask to reveal his identity. Except he doesn’t look like a Mexican wrestler because he’s 49 years old and was never all that buff to begin with.
Anyway, Moyer is trying to latch back on after taking a year off for Tommy John surgery. He went 9-9 with a 4.84 ERA with Philadelphia in 2010 and if he comes to Colorado he could theoretically compete for a rotation spot.
Have left arm, will travel.
4:12 PM: Troy Renck of the Denver Post says that the Rockies have made an offer to a starting pitcher. But who could it be? It’s a mystery!
The Rockies are also closing in on signing a veteran starter, creating more depth for a young rotation … O’Dowd declined to reveal the name of the veteran starter that he extended an offer to, only to say it’s not Kevin Millwood.
In other news, “veteran starters who are not Kevin Millwood” would make a great category if they brought back “The $25,000 Pyramid.” I can just picture Nipsy Russell giving: “Ahh, Roy Oswalt … Edwin Jackson … Jeff Francis … Aaron Cook … PASS!! PASS!”
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 136
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 50
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)