Jan 16, 2012, 5:19 PM EST
UPDATE: Mystery solved: Renck has updated his story: the mystery pitcher to whom the Rockies have made an offer is … Jamie Moyer. The offer is for a minor league deal.
I picture him taking off a Mexican-style wrestling mask to reveal his identity. Except he doesn’t look like a Mexican wrestler because he’s 49 years old and was never all that buff to begin with.
Anyway, Moyer is trying to latch back on after taking a year off for Tommy John surgery. He went 9-9 with a 4.84 ERA with Philadelphia in 2010 and if he comes to Colorado he could theoretically compete for a rotation spot.
Have left arm, will travel.
4:12 PM: Troy Renck of the Denver Post says that the Rockies have made an offer to a starting pitcher. But who could it be? It’s a mystery!
The Rockies are also closing in on signing a veteran starter, creating more depth for a young rotation … O’Dowd declined to reveal the name of the veteran starter that he extended an offer to, only to say it’s not Kevin Millwood.
In other news, “veteran starters who are not Kevin Millwood” would make a great category if they brought back “The $25,000 Pyramid.” I can just picture Nipsy Russell giving: ”Ahh, Roy Oswalt … Edwin Jackson … Jeff Francis … Aaron Cook … PASS!! PASS!”
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 24
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 30
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)