Jan 16, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mystery solved: Renck has updated his story: the mystery pitcher to whom the Rockies have made an offer is … Jamie Moyer. The offer is for a minor league deal.
I picture him taking off a Mexican-style wrestling mask to reveal his identity. Except he doesn’t look like a Mexican wrestler because he’s 49 years old and was never all that buff to begin with.
Anyway, Moyer is trying to latch back on after taking a year off for Tommy John surgery. He went 9-9 with a 4.84 ERA with Philadelphia in 2010 and if he comes to Colorado he could theoretically compete for a rotation spot.
Have left arm, will travel.
4:12 PM: Troy Renck of the Denver Post says that the Rockies have made an offer to a starting pitcher. But who could it be? It’s a mystery!
The Rockies are also closing in on signing a veteran starter, creating more depth for a young rotation … O’Dowd declined to reveal the name of the veteran starter that he extended an offer to, only to say it’s not Kevin Millwood.
In other news, “veteran starters who are not Kevin Millwood” would make a great category if they brought back “The $25,000 Pyramid.” I can just picture Nipsy Russell giving: “Ahh, Roy Oswalt … Edwin Jackson … Jeff Francis … Aaron Cook … PASS!! PASS!”
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69