Jan 17, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
This is Ethier’s final arbitration eligible season, so barring a contract extension with the Dodgers he’ll be a free agent next winter at age 31.
He earned $9.5 million last season while hitting .292 with 11 homers and a career-low .789 OPS in 135 games, failing to crack an .800 OPS for the first time in six seasons as a big leaguer.
It’ll be interesting to see what type of market there is for Ethier next offseason. Based purely on production he’s somewhat similar to corner outfielders Josh Willingham and Michael Cuddyer, who inked three-year deals worth $21 million and $30 million respectively this offeason. However, because Ethier will be younger than those two when he becomes a free agent and his reputation generally exceeds his on-field performance he’d seemingly be in line for a larger deal.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17