Jan 17, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
UPDATE: As expected, Teahen and his $5.5 million contract passed through waivers unclaimed and today the Blue Jays released him. They’re on the hook for his entire salary.
Teahen went from the White Sox to the Blue Jays in the eight-player swap built around Colby Rasmus and Edwin Jackson in July, with Toronto agreeing to assume the $7 million or so left on his contract as part of the value received by Chicago.
He’s still owed $5.5 million this season and Teahen is coming off a career-worst year in which he hit .200 with a .573 OPS in 78 games, so it’s pretty safe to assume his contract will clear waivers.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)