Jan 17, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, Teahen and his $5.5 million contract passed through waivers unclaimed and today the Blue Jays released him. They’re on the hook for his entire salary.
Teahen went from the White Sox to the Blue Jays in the eight-player swap built around Colby Rasmus and Edwin Jackson in July, with Toronto agreeing to assume the $7 million or so left on his contract as part of the value received by Chicago.
He’s still owed $5.5 million this season and Teahen is coming off a career-worst year in which he hit .200 with a .573 OPS in 78 games, so it’s pretty safe to assume his contract will clear waivers.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 10
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)