Jan 17, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Aoki and the Brewers have agreed to a two-year deal with an option for 2014.
With two hours remaining until the deadline to sign Norichika Aoki general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Brewers are “close” to a deal with the Japanese outfielder.
Milwaukee got a 30-day window in which to negotiate with Aoki after bidding $2.5 million for his exclusive rights last month and put him through a private workout in Arizona recently.
Based on previous deals with Japanese players through the posting process Aoki seems likely to get around $2-3 million from the Brewers, although that could change depending on the length of the contract.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)