Brian Wilson will start spring training at full speed

Jan 17, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT

brian wilson getty wide Getty Images

Know what we did all last winter but haven’t done at all this winter? Talked about Giants closer Brian Wilson.  How zany he is and all of that. Really, I haven’t thought about him at all since the last “BECAUSE I”M BLACK OPS!” Taco Bell commercial aired during the World Series.  Guess that happens when your team is no longer the world champs and your season ends in injury.

But Wilson is back on the radar. For baseball reasons, as Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that he’s been playing “hard catch” — which I did not know was a thing, but is apparently a thing — and will be able to begin bullpen sessions with the rest of the Giants staff when they all get to Scottsdale next month.

And if he’s pitching again and back to normal it will only be a matter of time before he does something zany again. Just you watch!

1. bkarbour - Jan 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hard catch. The opposite of soft toss, right?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I think it means you’re difficult to date…

2. Old Gator - Jan 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I always thought a “thing” was something bad that happens inside a pitcher’s head.

• cur68 - Jan 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM

No, no. I just saw a movie about this. A “Thing” is some parasitic creature that mimics a real person. Just a bizarre, freaky life form….thats a “Thing”. Wilson could be this “Thing”.

3. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jan 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Is he ever going to get rid of that ridiculous beard? It’s not funny anymore.

• trevorb06 - Jan 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I’ll second this.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

His beard should be shaved, along with Chip’s eyebrows.

• bobwsc - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

only if he carves it into a Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart goatee.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Wow, what an insanely random reference.

4. rambodiaz - Jan 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Thank you for mentioning the following, Craig:

“BECAUSE I”M BLACK OPS!”

The nightmares from the commercial had finally subsided about a week ago and my therapist said that I was making an excellent recovery. Now, I’m sure they’ll be back along with the cold sweats and unpredictable apoplectic attacks.

5. stex52 - Jan 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

The culture of closers needing to be somewhere between eccentric and sociopaths is so deeply embedded in MLB culture it hardly registers with me anymore (see Al Hrabosky). I find Wilson’s persona a little tiresome, but fortunately I am not in the NL West. As long as he wins, the Giants probably don’t care if he pitches in a loin cloth.

6. bigdicktater - Jan 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Oh man, if your loincloth idea gets back to Brian you might be charged with being an accessory to something.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Anyone else wonder if his wackiness will continue into his decline phase?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2985)