Jan 17, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Last month the Padres were said to be interested in working out a long-term contract extension with Cameron Maybin, but Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the 24-year-old center fielder recently switched agents and the two sides have “tabled” all negotiations.
Maybin won’t even be arbitration eligible for the first time until next offseason, so there’s no huge rush to get something done from the Padres’ point of view, particularly since his having a contract-inflating breakout season offensively will be tough with Petco Park suppressing his raw numbers.
Maybin hit .264 with nine homers and a .716 OPS in 137 games last season, which doesn’t look particularly impressive, but he also stole 40 bases at an 83 percent clip, played strong defense in center field, and batted .294 with an .806 OPS on the road.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)