Jan 17, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT
Last month Joe Saunders turned down a two-year, $12 million deal from the Diamondbacks and they non-tendered him rather than pay approximately $8 million for 2012 via arbitration, but the veteran left-hander said later that he “really wanted to come back” to Arizona and today he did just that.
Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports reports that Saunders has re-signed with the Diamondbacks for an undisclosed one-year deal.
Saunders reportedly countered Arizona’s two-year, $12 million offer with a three-year, $27 million proposal, revealing to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that they “never countered back.”
Early in his career Saunders was overrated by nice-looking win-loss records, but he’s basically a typical mid-rotation starter with a 4.16 career ERA and weak secondary numbers, including a 3.69 ERA and 108/67 K/BB ratio in 212 innings for the Diamondbacks last season.
And it looks like he almost surely cost himself some money by turning down the Diamondbacks’ initial offer.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says it’s a one-year, $6 million deal, so Saunders definitely overplayed his hand.
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 0
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 49
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games