Jan 17, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT
Last month Joe Saunders turned down a two-year, $12 million deal from the Diamondbacks and they non-tendered him rather than pay approximately $8 million for 2012 via arbitration, but the veteran left-hander said later that he “really wanted to come back” to Arizona and today he did just that.
Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports reports that Saunders has re-signed with the Diamondbacks for an undisclosed one-year deal.
Saunders reportedly countered Arizona’s two-year, $12 million offer with a three-year, $27 million proposal, revealing to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that they “never countered back.”
Early in his career Saunders was overrated by nice-looking win-loss records, but he’s basically a typical mid-rotation starter with a 4.16 career ERA and weak secondary numbers, including a 3.69 ERA and 108/67 K/BB ratio in 212 innings for the Diamondbacks last season.
And it looks like he almost surely cost himself some money by turning down the Diamondbacks’ initial offer.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says it’s a one-year, $6 million deal, so Saunders definitely overplayed his hand.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)