Jan 17, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT
Last month Joe Saunders turned down a two-year, $12 million deal from the Diamondbacks and they non-tendered him rather than pay approximately $8 million for 2012 via arbitration, but the veteran left-hander said later that he “really wanted to come back” to Arizona and today he did just that.
Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports reports that Saunders has re-signed with the Diamondbacks for an undisclosed one-year deal.
Saunders reportedly countered Arizona’s two-year, $12 million offer with a three-year, $27 million proposal, revealing to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that they “never countered back.”
Early in his career Saunders was overrated by nice-looking win-loss records, but he’s basically a typical mid-rotation starter with a 4.16 career ERA and weak secondary numbers, including a 3.69 ERA and 108/67 K/BB ratio in 212 innings for the Diamondbacks last season.
And it looks like he almost surely cost himself some money by turning down the Diamondbacks’ initial offer.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says it’s a one-year, $6 million deal, so Saunders definitely overplayed his hand.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)