Jan 17, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez was paid $11.5 million last season and when the Brewers tendered him a contract for 2012 they were risking his possibly being awarded a similar figure in arbitration, but the two sides have avoided a hearing with a one-year, $8 million deal.
That’s still probably more than Milwaukee wanted to pay for a setup man, but Rodriguez was excellent last season with a 2.64 ERA and 79/26 K/BB ratio in 72 innings for the Mets and Brewers.
Had the two sides gone to a hearing Rodriguez likely would have been awarded more than $8 million based on his 2011 salary and track record, but because it would have been a non-guaranteed contract the Brewers also could have cut him in spring training while being on the hook for just a fraction of that money.
At that point the market for closers and veteran setup man would be even more buyer-friendly than it is now, so Rodriguez might have struggled to find another gig for $8 million on short notice. Or at least that’s the only way his accepting $8 million makes sense to me.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?