Jan 17, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez was paid $11.5 million last season and when the Brewers tendered him a contract for 2012 they were risking his possibly being awarded a similar figure in arbitration, but the two sides have avoided a hearing with a one-year, $8 million deal.
That’s still probably more than Milwaukee wanted to pay for a setup man, but Rodriguez was excellent last season with a 2.64 ERA and 79/26 K/BB ratio in 72 innings for the Mets and Brewers.
Had the two sides gone to a hearing Rodriguez likely would have been awarded more than $8 million based on his 2011 salary and track record, but because it would have been a non-guaranteed contract the Brewers also could have cut him in spring training while being on the hook for just a fraction of that money.
At that point the market for closers and veteran setup man would be even more buyer-friendly than it is now, so Rodriguez might have struggled to find another gig for $8 million on short notice. Or at least that’s the only way his accepting $8 million makes sense to me.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 46
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (237)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)