Jan 17, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Padres general manager Josh Byrnes said earlier this month that he acquired Carlos Quentin from the White Sox with the idea of eventually signing him to a contract extension. Those talks have apparently been tabled for now, as Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the two sides have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $7.025 million contract.
Quentin, 29, batted .254/.340/.499 with 24 home runs, 77 RBI and an .838 OPS over 483 plate appearances last season with the White Sox.
While Quentin can become a free agent following the 2012 season, it’s probably a good idea to see how his skills translate to the spacious PETCO Park before engaging in contract talks. In addition to concerns about his defense and a potential drop in power, the southern California native has struggled to stay healthy during his six years in the majors.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)