Jan 17, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
Hamels earned $9.5 million last season as part of a three-year, $20.5 million deal that bought out his early arbitration eligibility and would have been in line for a big raise after going throwing 216 innings with a 2.79 ERA and 194/44 K/BB ratio.
Last month at the winter meetings general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told our own Craig Calcaterra that the Phillies want to keep Hamels in Philadelphia long term, but with a $100 million contract likely just 30 healthy starts away it’ll be tough to stop him from hitting the open market next winter as a rare 28-year-old free agent ace.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)