Jan 17, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
There have been some reports about roadblocks in the contract negotiations between the Rangers and Yu Darvish, but according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com they “expect to sign” the Japanese right-hander before tomorrow’s late-afternoon deadline.
There’s also been some speculation that the Rangers could sign Darvish to a huge long-term deal and then add Prince Fielder as well, but Sullivan reports that “they are not expecting to sign” Fielder if Darvish agrees to terms.
Fielder and agent Scott Boras met with the Rangers in Dallas last week, leading to all kinds rumors about how far along they were in talks, but Sullivan calls the get-together merely “a preliminary meeting.” Connecting the dots, it sounds like the Rangers have Fielder in place as a fallback option should Darvish not sign, but unless Fielder’s demands drop significantly it’s unlikely they’ll both wind up in Texas.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)