Jan 17, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
There have been some reports about roadblocks in the contract negotiations between the Rangers and Yu Darvish, but according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com they “expect to sign” the Japanese right-hander before tomorrow’s late-afternoon deadline.
There’s also been some speculation that the Rangers could sign Darvish to a huge long-term deal and then add Prince Fielder as well, but Sullivan reports that “they are not expecting to sign” Fielder if Darvish agrees to terms.
Fielder and agent Scott Boras met with the Rangers in Dallas last week, leading to all kinds rumors about how far along they were in talks, but Sullivan calls the get-together merely “a preliminary meeting.” Connecting the dots, it sounds like the Rangers have Fielder in place as a fallback option should Darvish not sign, but unless Fielder’s demands drop significantly it’s unlikely they’ll both wind up in Texas.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 44
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 12
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 12
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 20
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)