Jan 17, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
You probably noticed yesterday that there were a lot of “so-and-so-avoids arbitration-by-signing-a-one-year-deal” posts. Those all happened yesterday — and will continue in to trickle in today — because today is the day arbitration-eligible teams and player exchange salary proposals.
Once numbers are exchanged, negotiation becomes way more constrained, as people are sort of pegged at a high and low. Obviously most arbitration cases settle, but they do a lot later after the exchange of numbers.
Alternative dispute resolution: Feel the excitement!
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)