Jan 17, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
You probably noticed yesterday that there were a lot of “so-and-so-avoids arbitration-by-signing-a-one-year-deal” posts. Those all happened yesterday — and will continue in to trickle in today — because today is the day arbitration-eligible teams and player exchange salary proposals.
Once numbers are exchanged, negotiation becomes way more constrained, as people are sort of pegged at a high and low. Obviously most arbitration cases settle, but they do a lot later after the exchange of numbers.
Alternative dispute resolution: Feel the excitement!
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 28
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 5
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 25
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 87
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)