Jan 17, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
You probably noticed yesterday that there were a lot of “so-and-so-avoids arbitration-by-signing-a-one-year-deal” posts. Those all happened yesterday — and will continue in to trickle in today — because today is the day arbitration-eligible teams and player exchange salary proposals.
Once numbers are exchanged, negotiation becomes way more constrained, as people are sort of pegged at a high and low. Obviously most arbitration cases settle, but they do a lot later after the exchange of numbers.
Alternative dispute resolution: Feel the excitement!
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (83)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (76)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (73)