Whitey Herzog was in intensive care for 23 days

Jan 17, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT

Herzog

The good news: Whitey Herzog is OK now and was at the Cardinals’ Winter Warm-up talking to reporters;

The bad news: He spent 23 days in intensive care starting in September after a nasty fall at his house left him with bleeding on the brain.

The “good” news: He was colorful — dare I say amusingly so? — in recounting how that all went:

“I told Mary Lou (his wife) I’d go home and feed the goats,” he recalled. “The next day the nurse would say, `Did you feed the goats?’ I said, `I don’t have any goats.”‘

Still, Herzog said, he was lucky because despite bruising his brain in two places, doctors were able to stop the bleeding without drilling into his head.

“Once they drill through your brain, you don’t know what they’re going to come out with,” he said.

To be clear: Herzog’s medical state and confusion it created were not amusing. But it is a relief that he’s better now and able to talk about it all such a matter of fact way.  Brain injuries are super scary.

Glad to hear one of my favorites of all time is on the mend.

1. fearlessleader - Jan 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM

When the octogenarian Gussie Busch offered Whitey Herzog a lifetime contract in about 1980, Whitey’s typically awesome response was, “Your life or mine?”

Cardinal Nation is so, so fortunate to have lifers like Herzog, Musial, and Schoendienst. I couldn’t be gladder to hear that Whitey’s in the BSOHE (best shape of his eighties).

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Well said Fearless.

• fearlessleader - Jan 18, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Somebody thumbs-downed these? Dan Lozano, is that you??

2. cur68 - Jan 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Lucky to be alive, much less cracking jokes and walking around. Some major league mojo, Mr. Herzog has there.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The man’s simply the best. Even as a Cub fan, I have to love him.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Wow Matt…I may have to “re-think” a few things about you.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

*blush* I suppose I shouldn’t tell you I love Stan the Man and Bib Gibson too.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Unbelievable Matt. Your pining for an addition tothe Christmas list aren’t you?

4. okwhitefalcon - Jan 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Alot of us Cards fans who frequent HBT grew up on Whitey Ball with the Cardinals, great to hear The White Rat is healthy and in fine form.

• fearlessleader - Jan 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM

For years the 1985 Cardinals have been my all-time favorite team. The 2011 Cardinals—the post-trading-deadline version, at least—became their first serious challengers in a quarter of a century. But I still miss Whitey’s “Runnin’ Redbirds,” who were more fun to watch than a bunch of puppies.

• kcfanatic - Jan 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I agree. As a Royals fan, the 1985 Cardinals are my all time favorite team…to see lose!

Just giving you a hard time, since there has been nothing else to cheer for in KC in about 27 years.

Whitey is a gem. Glad to see that he is okay.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

The Cardinals hit a combined 248 home in Whitey’s 3 pennant winning teams (82, 85, 87). They hit 235 home runs in 2000.

They stole 762 bases in those three seasons. They managed to steal just 41 more bases in the *entire decade of the 00’s*!

Now that was some fun baseball to watch.

5. hushbrother - Jan 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Good thing he recovered in time for the World Series, otherwise, he’d have been missing a great game.

6. okwhitefalcon - Jan 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Nice to see some Whitey era moments here, some great memories indeed.

If he were managing in this era of metrics/analytics and blogosphere, he would have absolutely drove those so inclined nuts. Could you imagine if someone would have come to him with
    the term “WAR” or “UZR”?

Sac bunts, hit and runs, squeezes, intentional walks, putting pitchers in the outfield for a batter or 2 as to keep them in the game for match up purposes later in the inning – oh the humanity!

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5121)