Jan 17, 2012, 1:40 PM EST
The good news: Whitey Herzog is OK now and was at the Cardinals’ Winter Warm-up talking to reporters;
The bad news: He spent 23 days in intensive care starting in September after a nasty fall at his house left him with bleeding on the brain.
The “good” news: He was colorful — dare I say amusingly so? — in recounting how that all went:
“I told Mary Lou (his wife) I’d go home and feed the goats,” he recalled. “The next day the nurse would say, `Did you feed the goats?’ I said, `I don’t have any goats.”‘
Still, Herzog said, he was lucky because despite bruising his brain in two places, doctors were able to stop the bleeding without drilling into his head.
“Once they drill through your brain, you don’t know what they’re going to come out with,” he said.
To be clear: Herzog’s medical state and confusion it created were not amusing. But it is a relief that he’s better now and able to talk about it all such a matter of fact way. Brain injuries are super scary.
Glad to hear one of my favorites of all time is on the mend.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)