Jan 17, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
The good news: Whitey Herzog is OK now and was at the Cardinals’ Winter Warm-up talking to reporters;
The bad news: He spent 23 days in intensive care starting in September after a nasty fall at his house left him with bleeding on the brain.
The “good” news: He was colorful — dare I say amusingly so? — in recounting how that all went:
“I told Mary Lou (his wife) I’d go home and feed the goats,” he recalled. “The next day the nurse would say, `Did you feed the goats?’ I said, `I don’t have any goats.”‘
Still, Herzog said, he was lucky because despite bruising his brain in two places, doctors were able to stop the bleeding without drilling into his head.
“Once they drill through your brain, you don’t know what they’re going to come out with,” he said.
To be clear: Herzog’s medical state and confusion it created were not amusing. But it is a relief that he’s better now and able to talk about it all such a matter of fact way. Brain injuries are super scary.
Glad to hear one of my favorites of all time is on the mend.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)