Clayton Kershaw: a little different than Tim Tebow

Jan 18, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT

82nd MLB All-Star Game - Batting Practice Getty Images

The other day I wrote that there are a lot of devoutly religious young ballplayers but we just don’t hear that much about them like we do Tim Tebow, in part because of the differences between the baseball news cycle and the football news cycle.

I still think that’s true, but over at the Los Angeles Times, Steve Dilbeck has a story about Clayton Kershaw and his faith that does suggest that personal temperament has a lot to do with it too.  The upshot: Kershaw approaches his faith and his job in different ways than someone like Tebow does.

No, not shocking or controversial. And for my part it doesn’t mean that he does things better than Tim Tebow does or whatever. Religion is just something kind of foreign to me, and I find it interesting when its nature (as opposed to its substance) is discussed. And this is a timely and interesting article given what we were talking about here the other day, so there’s that.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Plus he usually rocks that cool Amish beard

2. cosanostra71 - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I think we get it dude. you’re atheist. congratulations.

• Old Gator - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Me too!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Or Agnostic. Let’s all play nice.

• humanexcrement - Jan 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I never tire of the way religious people can be so stung by someone saying they have no desire to participate in religion, while a guy like Tim Tebow is embraced for loudly and publicly wearing his faith on his sleeve. Don’t get me wrong, he’s got every right to do that, and I’d never have it taken away–free speech is important to me, but why do some people seem to want religion to be the only subject on which it’s only appropriate to voice one side of the equation? Religion has been getting special treatment ever since the dawn of man, because without it, it can’t survive, or at least not thrive the way it does in some places. The rest of us are just plain sick of it. And we don’t have to brainwash children to increase our numbers. Welcome to the 21st century.

3. koufaxmitzvah - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

The media loves the kneeling thing from a good looking kid and winning quarterback. If Tim was a corner back, he wouldn’t get that much coverage. If he didn’t win the Heisman or two national championships, no one would give two hoots about his religion.

But, man, his kneel down is going to look great on a Fathead.

• brewcitybummer - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Not that I want to create a tebow debate on a baseball site but how is that dude good looking? He looks goofy as hell. The rest of what you’re saying has some truth to it though.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM

He’s good looking enough for an underwear ad.

• Old Gator - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Kinda like Javier Bardem in Jamon Jamon?

Look, I grant you that Tebow is no George Clooney, but at least he’s no Kevin Youkilis.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Are you telling me Youkilis isn’t gorgeous? Pshaw.

• aceshigh11 - Jan 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You’re saying the media loves seeing a good-looking boy down on his knees?

O…k…

Maybe if you’re Anderson Cooper…too soon?

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Hahaha! Outstanding Aces. Well done Sir.

4. hasbeen5 - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Religious or not Tebow comes of as a giant douche. In college I saw him taunt the opponents more than the average college player and get away with it. Some of the stuff he did would have drawn a celebration/taunting penalty in the NFL, and that’s saying something. I also saw him run around the field yelling at fans and doing the chomp while a player was down for several minutes with an injury. Classless. My distaste for the guy has nothing to do with religion, only how he carries himself.

• vanillakokakola - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Don’t know why you have so many thumbs downs on this. Everything I’ve heard about Tebow makes him sound like a particularly nasty personality (besides the charity work, but I suspect that’s for PR).

Being devout is not mutually exclusive from being a douchecanoe.

• hasbeen5 - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

My only guess is a bunch of UF fans have their jorts on too tight today.

• 18thstreet - Jan 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I’m fine with charity work being done for PR. It’s still getting done. Here’s my ranking:

1. Charity work being done sincerely
        2. Charity work being done for PR.
        3. Not doing charity work.

Is there someone who would like to flip 3 and 2?

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Dead on 18th. The motives really don’t matter at the end of the day.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Hasbeen: Which is it? The Hurricanes or the Seminoles?

• hasbeen5 - Jan 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Are the Canes still playing D-1 football? Doesn’t seem like it.

5. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM

You can admire a guy like Kershaw who sounds like he’s actually read what Jesus had to say about love and compassion and quietly goes about putting that philosophy into practice. The blowhards and jackasses like Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry and Tim Tebow are all empty noise.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

It’s going to be hard for you to top that comment, Gator.

Remember when Bachmann said she grew up in the same lovely Iowa town as John Wayne?
      Yeah, it was actually John Wayne Gacy.

• hasbeen5 - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Those slips of the tongue absolutely make her stupid. Like that time she said there were 57 states. . . Oh wait, never mind.

• paperlions - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Another difference: Kershaw doesn’t belong to the Bob Tebow Evangelic Association (http://www.btea.org/aboutus.asp). Is there anything more egotistical and self important than starting your own church for no apparent reason whatsoever (other than wanting to be in charge of something)?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

And that thing she likes to pray away…yeah, I don’t miss her.

• aceshigh11 - Jan 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Jeezus, is that ALL you hacks have? The “57 states” gaffe?

One major gaffe in six years while on a national campaign, probably getting 3 hours of sleep a night AT BEST, compared to the REAMS, the utter MOUNTAINS of gaffes that dunces like Bachmann, Perry and Palin have compiled…

…and yet, to an Obama hater, “57 states” cancels it ALL out.

Jesus wept.

• dprat - Jan 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM

@hasbeen5

Wait, you’re saying that was a slip of the tongue. So Bachmann said “John Wayne,” but that was just a verbal slip, she actually meant to tell Iowa voters that she grew up in the same town as John Wayne Gacy?

Interesting. But, you know, I’ll buy that. In her world she might actually think that would appeal to voters.

• 18thstreet - Jan 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM

the first time I saw the “57 states” slip, I thought he was making a joke. Like, “We’ve been campaigning so much, I swear we’ve been to 57 states.” A year later, I saw it again and thought he was just tired and meant to say 47 states (which, I believe, was a correct statement at the time). Either way, it AMAZING to me that this thing has such legs.

• hasbeen5 - Jan 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I’m not making a big deal out him slipping up either, I’m pointing out the fact that you ridicule one candidate for misspeaking, but ignore the exact same thing for your candidate. It’s ridiculous either way. Saying there are 57 states is not why Obama is a bad President. Messing up someone’s name is not the reason Bachmann would have been a bad president.

The point is the left was all over Bush constantly for stuttering or mispronouncing a word, but have you heard Obama try to talk without a teleprompter? I honestly don’t care if my President is a good public speaker, but this is another example of hypocrisy which the left fails to acknowledge.

• aceshigh11 - Jan 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

From a purely philosophical standpoint, the alleged Jesus of Nazareth was a righteous dude with a cool philosophy.

Son of god? I dunno…doubt it, but the world would be a better place if people actually practiced what he said…

…of course, the real Jesus was a socialist hippie, so “Xtians” have had to pervert his message into “tax cuts cure all social ills, gays are pure evil, women’s hoo-ha’s are dirty, unclean places, and bombing random brown people into oblivion is doing God’s will.”

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

The biggest difference between Tebow and Kershaw, is that I don’t hear Kershaw’s name every two minutes of every day.

• micker716 - Jan 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM

No. The biggest difference is that Kershaw is really good.

7. eyesofjustice - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Tim Tebow is legit…Clayton Kershaw is legit. They both fulfill the Great Commandment in Matthew 22: 37-40 (NLT); “37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the other commandments and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” Why do people have a problem with that? Tebowmania isn’t something Tebow created… the media created it. He is just making the most of the platform he’s been given… even Kershaw applauds that. If the bowing and praying bothers you… I don’t I hear about it when other players do the same thing. Folks don’t want to be judged, but are constantly judging those that take a stance. It takes a bigger person to take a stand one-way or the other than one who rides the fence. Keep up the good work Clayton and Tim! God Bless!

8. badmamainphilliesjamas - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I just wonder what the response will be when some player praises Allah, instead of Jesus.

• schlom - Jan 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM

It’s been done before: http://youtu.be/M4l0ZyKmeNE

• humanexcrement - Jan 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Yeah, by Mike Tyson.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Oh I think that has happened and/or continues to happen right now Mama.

9. JBerardi - Jan 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM

• baseballisboring - Jan 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

God I miss him…such an acute thinker.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4747)