Jan 18, 2012, 8:05 PM EDT
The veteran left-hander has found a new home.
The deal includes an invitation to spring training, where Moyer will presumably get a shot at landing a spot in the Rockies’ starting rotation. He’s 49 years old and coming off Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, but Moyer should be at 100 percent health when camp opens next month and he registered a respectable 4.84 ERA and 1.10 WHIP across 111 2/3 innings in 2010 for the Phillies. If he can’t cut it as a starter at Rockies camp, he might be open to accepting a long-relief role. The deal could also contain an early-summer opt-out clause.
Moyer owns a 4.24 career ERA and 1.32 career WHIP over parts of 24 major league seasons.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)