Jan 18, 2012, 8:05 PM EDT
The veteran left-hander has found a new home.
The deal includes an invitation to spring training, where Moyer will presumably get a shot at landing a spot in the Rockies’ starting rotation. He’s 49 years old and coming off Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, but Moyer should be at 100 percent health when camp opens next month and he registered a respectable 4.84 ERA and 1.10 WHIP across 111 2/3 innings in 2010 for the Phillies. If he can’t cut it as a starter at Rockies camp, he might be open to accepting a long-relief role. The deal could also contain an early-summer opt-out clause.
Moyer owns a 4.24 career ERA and 1.32 career WHIP over parts of 24 major league seasons.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)