Jan 18, 2012, 8:05 PM EDT
The veteran left-hander has found a new home.
The deal includes an invitation to spring training, where Moyer will presumably get a shot at landing a spot in the Rockies’ starting rotation. He’s 49 years old and coming off Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, but Moyer should be at 100 percent health when camp opens next month and he registered a respectable 4.84 ERA and 1.10 WHIP across 111 2/3 innings in 2010 for the Phillies. If he can’t cut it as a starter at Rockies camp, he might be open to accepting a long-relief role. The deal could also contain an early-summer opt-out clause.
Moyer owns a 4.24 career ERA and 1.32 career WHIP over parts of 24 major league seasons.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 47
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 73
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)