Jan 18, 2012, 8:05 PM EDT
The veteran left-hander has found a new home.
The deal includes an invitation to spring training, where Moyer will presumably get a shot at landing a spot in the Rockies’ starting rotation. He’s 49 years old and coming off Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, but Moyer should be at 100 percent health when camp opens next month and he registered a respectable 4.84 ERA and 1.10 WHIP across 111 2/3 innings in 2010 for the Phillies. If he can’t cut it as a starter at Rockies camp, he might be open to accepting a long-relief role. The deal could also contain an early-summer opt-out clause.
Moyer owns a 4.24 career ERA and 1.32 career WHIP over parts of 24 major league seasons.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)