Jan 18, 2012, 8:05 PM EDT
The veteran left-hander has found a new home.
The deal includes an invitation to spring training, where Moyer will presumably get a shot at landing a spot in the Rockies’ starting rotation. He’s 49 years old and coming off Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, but Moyer should be at 100 percent health when camp opens next month and he registered a respectable 4.84 ERA and 1.10 WHIP across 111 2/3 innings in 2010 for the Phillies. If he can’t cut it as a starter at Rockies camp, he might be open to accepting a long-relief role. The deal could also contain an early-summer opt-out clause.
Moyer owns a 4.24 career ERA and 1.32 career WHIP over parts of 24 major league seasons.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29