Mariners sign Oliver Perez to minor league contract

Jan 18, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT

ollie perez getty Getty Images

From MLB.com’s Greg Johns comes word that the Mariners have signed left-hander Oliver Perez to a minor league contract with an invitation to major league spring training. Yes, that Oliver Perez.

The 30-year-old former Met had a decent showing last year for the Nationals’ Double-A affiliate, posting a 3.09 ERA and 58/27 K/BB ratio across 75 2/3 innings. But he never made it up to the Triple-A level and was never seriously considered for a promotion to the majors despite the Nats’ many pitching failures.

Perez is highly doubtful to land himself a spot on Seattle’s Opening Day roster this spring.

1. ThisIsBaseball - Jan 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Damn. I really enjoyed watching him pitch at AA Harrisburg.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Sure, after they lost Pineda they were on the lookout for a #2 type starter.

3. rambodiaz - Jan 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

The last few days in Seattle Mariner history have made me feel kinda bad for Jeff Sullivan.

4. plmathfoto - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Good god, when I first glanced at this I thought it said the Mets resigned him.

5. cool10857 - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Oliver Perez is not MLB grade material…..he totally sucks!

• seattlej - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

… and that’s why it’s a minor league contract.

6. sanzarq - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I just posted that I liked the Moyer signing. This one, I hate!!!

7. crisisjunky - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It’s like that bent, mutilated dollar you keep trying to stick into the soda machine.
    And though it keeps spitting out, you keep trying……. hoping………..hoping……….

8. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

maybe seattle can give ichiro an extension while they are at it. yikes no wonder this team never wins!

9. denny65 - Jan 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Every day the Mariners get closer to the opening of spring training without signing Fielder is a good day. They can keep signing 30-year-old pitchers from now until the first pitches are thrown in Peoria and I’ll be happy.

10. wlschneider09 - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Maybe the strike zone is bigger in Seattle….

11. henryd3rd - Jan 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

This is the same guy who because of his years in the “bigs” refused to accept a being sent down to Triple A by the Mets. Now he accepts a minor league contract with the hope of being able to make the “Big club” in the Spring? Is it me or am I missing something here?

Omar where are you when we really need you? That wailing and gnashing of their teeth that you hear are those serious Mets’ fans who are still out there.

Thank God my dad died before his beloved Mets sunk to these lows.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5499)