Jan 18, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
Jon Daniels, off camera, on the Rangers chances of pursuing Fielder: “I’m intimately aware of our budget and it’s very unlikely.”
So while the door isn’t completely closed on a Fielder purchase, it sure sounds doubtful to happen. The Rangers just signed off on a commitment of nearly $112 million to Darvish and will soon have to engage in extension talks with outfielder Josh Hamilton and catcher Mike Napoli or risk losing them to free agency.
The Nationals still feel like the front-runner for Fielder, who possesses a sparkling .929 career OPS and slugged 38 home runs in 162 games last season for the National League Central champion Brewers.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)