Jan 18, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
Jon Daniels, off camera, on the Rangers chances of pursuing Fielder: “I’m intimately aware of our budget and it’s very unlikely.”
So while the door isn’t completely closed on a Fielder purchase, it sure sounds doubtful to happen. The Rangers just signed off on a commitment of nearly $112 million to Darvish and will soon have to engage in extension talks with outfielder Josh Hamilton and catcher Mike Napoli or risk losing them to free agency.
The Nationals still feel like the front-runner for Fielder, who possesses a sparkling .929 career OPS and slugged 38 home runs in 162 games last season for the National League Central champion Brewers.
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 20
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 46
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48