Jan 18, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Ryan Braun won the MVP. This not long after he broke the testosterone-o-meter in a random drug test. This led to a whole lot of writers loudly proclaiming his award illegitimate and/or demanding that it be stripped from him and given to Matt Kemp (or something; they haven’t thought ahead that far). He now faces suspension.
This Saturday is the BBWAA awards dinner where the MVP will be handed out. As the New York Times reports, Braun is not going to avoid the controversy. He’s going to be there and accept his award in person and will give an acceptance speech.
So the question is: will any of the writers who argued from Braun to have his award stripped from him do anything or say anything at the banquet? Will there be a boycott or a protest or something? Will Jon Paul Morosi or Kevin Kernan or any of the others who demanded a re-vote all get up and leave as Braun takes the stage?
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)