Jan 18, 2012, 9:20 AM EST
Ryan Braun won the MVP. This not long after he broke the testosterone-o-meter in a random drug test. This led to a whole lot of writers loudly proclaiming his award illegitimate and/or demanding that it be stripped from him and given to Matt Kemp (or something; they haven’t thought ahead that far). He now faces suspension.
This Saturday is the BBWAA awards dinner where the MVP will be handed out. As the New York Times reports, Braun is not going to avoid the controversy. He’s going to be there and accept his award in person and will give an acceptance speech.
So the question is: will any of the writers who argued from Braun to have his award stripped from him do anything or say anything at the banquet? Will there be a boycott or a protest or something? Will Jon Paul Morosi or Kevin Kernan or any of the others who demanded a re-vote all get up and leave as Braun takes the stage?
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (213)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)