Jan 18, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Today is the deadline for the Rangers to reach a deal with Yu Darvish. The sides have until 5pm Eastern. These things tend to go to the wire, and all along it is has been expected that a deal would be done. This is fun though. T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com:
The word this morning is the Rangers optimism has waned a bit. The two sides negotiated late into the night and there are definitely still some differences that have cooled the Rangers optimism.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this comes out at the same time more Prince Fielder chatter circulates and all while a deadline looms. If you’re the Rangers you want to try to put a little doubt in Darvish’s mind. To make him think that, hey, maybe a deal won’t get done.
I’d be more pessimistic if I heard a report sourced to Darvish’s camp about the Rangers being jerks or something. That’s the stuff of busted negotiations. Vague “maybe it won’t happen” chatter from the team sounds like posturing to me.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)