Jan 18, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
The free agent DH market is rough, kids. If you’re old, used to hit well and can’t field anymore the pickings are slim for you. So slim that you’re calling teams rather than them calling you. To wit: Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports that Vlad Guerrero and Raul Ibanez have called the Yankees inquiring about the DH job.
I imagine this happens more than we know, but it is kind of depressing to hear that kind of thing. And to think that their reps each called Dave Dombrowski within ten minutes of hearing about Victor Martinez‘s injury yesterday. It’s like some game of musical chairs or some desperate kind of land grab or something.
Anyway, I don’t see any value whatsoever either Guerrero or Ibanez can bring the Yankees that internal option Jorge Vazquez or some rotation of regular starters taking a turn or two a week at DH can’t bring. Indeed, Vazquez or A-Rod/Jeter/Teixeira/Swisher/Whoever DH is bound to be way better.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)