Jan 18, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
The free agent DH market is rough, kids. If you’re old, used to hit well and can’t field anymore the pickings are slim for you. So slim that you’re calling teams rather than them calling you. To wit: Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports that Vlad Guerrero and Raul Ibanez have called the Yankees inquiring about the DH job.
I imagine this happens more than we know, but it is kind of depressing to hear that kind of thing. And to think that their reps each called Dave Dombrowski within ten minutes of hearing about Victor Martinez‘s injury yesterday. It’s like some game of musical chairs or some desperate kind of land grab or something.
Anyway, I don’t see any value whatsoever either Guerrero or Ibanez can bring the Yankees that internal option Jorge Vazquez or some rotation of regular starters taking a turn or two a week at DH can’t bring. Indeed, Vazquez or A-Rod/Jeter/Teixeira/Swisher/Whoever DH is bound to be way better.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 19
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 128
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (128)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)