Jan 18, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
The free agent DH market is rough, kids. If you’re old, used to hit well and can’t field anymore the pickings are slim for you. So slim that you’re calling teams rather than them calling you. To wit: Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports that Vlad Guerrero and Raul Ibanez have called the Yankees inquiring about the DH job.
I imagine this happens more than we know, but it is kind of depressing to hear that kind of thing. And to think that their reps each called Dave Dombrowski within ten minutes of hearing about Victor Martinez‘s injury yesterday. It’s like some game of musical chairs or some desperate kind of land grab or something.
Anyway, I don’t see any value whatsoever either Guerrero or Ibanez can bring the Yankees that internal option Jorge Vazquez or some rotation of regular starters taking a turn or two a week at DH can’t bring. Indeed, Vazquez or A-Rod/Jeter/Teixeira/Swisher/Whoever DH is bound to be way better.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)