Vlad Guerrero, Raul Ibanez have called the Yankees peddling DH services

Jan 18, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Vladimir Guerrero AP

The free agent DH market is rough, kids. If you’re old, used to hit well and can’t field anymore the pickings are slim for you. So slim that you’re  calling teams rather than them calling you. To wit: Ken Davidoff of Newsday reports that Vlad Guerrero and Raul Ibanez have called the Yankees inquiring about the DH job.

I imagine this happens more than we know, but it is kind of depressing to hear that kind of thing. And to think that their reps each called Dave Dombrowski within ten minutes of hearing about Victor Martinez‘s injury yesterday.  It’s like some game of musical chairs or some desperate kind of land grab or something.

Anyway, I don’t see any value whatsoever either Guerrero or Ibanez can bring the Yankees that internal option Jorge Vazquez or some rotation of regular starters taking a turn or two a week at DH can’t bring. Indeed, Vazquez or A-Rod/Jeter/Teixeira/Swisher/Whoever DH is bound to be way better.

1. randygnyc - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Unless it’s a force like Fielder at DH, I’d agree with the role being filled by a day off rotation.

2. jetsfaninmiami - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:33 AM

We are solid, we don’t need to get older. We got a lot of weapons to fill the DH position. AL East Champs once again. Go Yankees.

3. Francisco (FC) - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM

And someone laughed off the Idea the Tigers would be interested in Ibanez. Clearly Ibanez didn’t think it was so outlandish.

• cur68 - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The possibility exists that Ibanez or his representatives read HBT and got the idea from this very site. Or, its what any good agent does. I prefer option 1.We shook up the world baby!

4. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM

If we got rid of that boring atrocity called the DH, these wrecks of former fine ballplayers would already have moved on, more fresh blood would be coming up from the ethanol fields and we wouldn’t have to be treated to this pathetic spectacle. The least MLB could do for us is impose a mandatory retirement age. Remember when the airlines had one and you always got served by your brother’s hot girlfriend instead of by your grandmother?

• stex52 - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM

OG, I’m with you on the DH thing. But it’s a losing battle.

I’m also with you on the stewardess thing. But I do have the decency to feel guilty about it.

• sdelmonte - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I remember when the DH was supposed to be the thing that let great old players play longer.

So much for that.

Then again, the first DH was the legendary Ron Blumberg. I don’t think he was anyone’s definition of a great anything.

• Old Gator - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Blomberg.

I hope paperlions is OK with the factual correction…

• nategearhart - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I’d rather hear about old sluggers looking for jobs than watch pitchers hit. It’s bad baseball. With the DH, you get someone who (theoretically; of course there are bad DH’s) hit taking at bats, and you don’t have to wonder whether your hot pitcher is going to get pulled an inning before he’s spent because you REALLY need Jeromy Burnitz or Matt Stairs to come up big.
      Gator, because there is no DH, Ozzie Guillen will have to do a whole mess of “stratergizing” (I don’t see it that way but whatever), meaning more broadcast shots of the Marlins bench watching him think. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to watch Guillen think. I don’t want to watch Josh Johnson bunt or strikeout. I don’t want to watch Leo Nunez warm up. I just can’t imagine why any of those things would be preferable to watching Vlad Guerrero hit.

• Old Gator - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Nate: I seriously doubt if any of us are in any danger of watching Slobbering Ozzie think. If you want to watch obsolescent sluggers hit, check out any YMCA baseball diamond any weekend of the season. (Used to be I would say check out any Catskill region bungalow colony baseball field any weekend of the summer, but the demographics have radically changed, and these days Hasidim sliding home in their dress blacks, losing their yarmulkes and getting their beards dirty is kinda on a par with watching old men with decrepit knees playing designatedhitterball).

• missthemexpos - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Should MLB impose a mandatory retirement age, does Jamie Moyer get to be “Granfathered In” ?

• cur68 - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The Mandatory MLB Retirement Age will be whatever age it is that Moyer is at when he finally does retire (in 10 years or so). That should be made into law or something.

• 4cornersfan - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Retirement at, say 40, would have meant 1437 strikeouts and 71 wins less for Nolen Ryan.

• missthemexpos - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Don’t forget 2 less no-hitters.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

only a old fool like you would want to watch a pitcher bunt with 1 out because he has no business being in the batters box to begin with and shame on you for saying bad stuff about grandmothers

• Old Gator - Jan 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Only a dimwitted bore like you would like to watch a monotonous parade of cavemen with clubs, evoid of rhythm or periodicity, and prefer not to have to trouble your deliquescent brain up off the floor of your skull with anything as demanding of an occasional thought as “strategy.”

To hell with grandmothers. The medieval Japanese tied them up in rope baskets and hauled their desiccated butts up to Narayama and left them there, where they belonged. Go rent “Wild in the Streets” from Netflix and enjoy it with a jug of Ripple.

5. uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Don’t see the Yankees really being interested in either Vlad or Ibanez. I guess if they want to go old and cheap they will go with Damon. Assuming he’s willing to play for less than $2MM. But if I’m the Yankees I go with Betemit. He’s younger, probably very cheap and at least he can stand in the way of the ball on defense in necessary at some of the infield positions.

• pisano - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM

uyf1950… I like your idea on Betemit,not only can he field, but If memory serves me correct, I remember him being a switch hitter, which is always good to have on your team.

• uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Yes he is a switch hitter but his numbers against left handed pitchers are pretty poor. They are just the opposite when he bats for the left side against righties. They are pretty decent.

• stex52 - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I like your concept better. I don’t like DH, but at least in principle it has to be better to have a player that can do more than one thing. Admittedly I am primarily NL (for now) but DH by committee has always made sense to me.

6. pisano - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Craig, It’s time to see what Jorge Vazquez can do at the major league level. This guy has been a beast at triple A. Hopefully he gets to show himself this spring. In last seasons post many Yankee posters wondered why he wasn’t given a chance, but maybe this coming season he’ll get his shot.

• uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM

pisano, your exactly right. He may just get that shot this year. If only he could cut down on his strike outs.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:56 AM

In addition, Vazquez would not cause any new problems with the luxury tax.

• foreverchipper10 - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM

He is quite the all or nothing hitter but when he connects it is a no doubter. I have seen him play AAA a lot this last year plus. It won’t be the same this summer without those games.

• phukyouk - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM

not to mention that Nunez has a little pop to him and of course the rollcoaster of DH’s that already play for the Yanks. Fact is that we can go into the season with what we got right now and will be just fine. I would love to see Damon or Mats back if only for sentimental reasons. lets not forget that there is a good chance that chavez will return to the yanks as well.

• uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM

phukyouk – I’m beginning to believe that Chavez coming back isn’t going to happen. I think if it were as much of a possibility as fans would like to think it would have happened already. I know the Yankees were waiting to see what happened with the Nakajima negotiations, but that fell through what a about 3 weeks ago. I think if it were going to happen it would have or should have already gotten done.

I’m not saying it’s a dead issue but I would put the odds at less than 50/50. At least that’s my opinion.

• phukyouk - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

well i thought he was deciding between retirement and the yanks, right? if so maybe hes working out details now that the other player fell through?? speculation of course. and while i would love to see him back to give Arod the time off from 3rd that he desperately needs, its not the end of the world for Nunez to play 3rd time to time and let Arod DH 3 x a week.

• uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

…and that still may well be the case. We’ll see.

7. Innocent Bystander - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Stop the charade. You know who the next Yankees DH is…just think about it.

Man-ny! Man-ny! Man-ny!

I’m starting this rumor and no one is stopping me until it happens!

• proudlycanadian - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Manny would need a major haircut.

• nategearhart - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Maybe that’s what he meant when he said he’s willing to change his “image”.

• pisano - Jan 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

That pig (manny) would be a disgrace to the pinstripes.

• 4cornersfan - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

In its own way that would be as big a sacrilege as signing Pedro. Can you imagine Manny standing at the plate at Yankee Stadium with his dreadlocks gently fluttering in the breeze wearing dirty, baggy pinstriped pajamas? Monument Park would explode!

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I think they want a lefty, so I will advocate for Russel Branyan. He ALWAYS seems to hit 600 ft HRs in Yankee Stadium. He and Jones can platoon for the DH role. Plus you could sit him when ARod needs a day off.

Though Girardi seems fundamentally opposed to giving ARod a DH day. Remember when he came back from injury several times last year, and every single time Joe started him at 3B? And he kept reinjuring himself? Yeah, that was fun.

9. deathmonkey41 - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Ibanez hasn’t been good since that blogger called him out for supposedly using PEDs.

10. spudchukar - Jan 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Perhaps it is a right handed bat that they should choose. On days when they face a tough lefty, Rodriguez, Jeter, Texeira, and Swisher will probably be in the lineup. Either Granderson or Gardner could get a day off or the DH could go to the new acquisition.

Vazquez struck out 166 times at AAA last year. That most likely translates into a 200 KO dude in the Bigs. He is due a shot but those totals scare me. A right-handed option who can play decent OF defense may be the more prudent option.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3274)