Jan 19, 2012, 12:21 PM EST
Calcaterra is on vacation, but before leaving he gave me permission to cover the “best shape of my life” beat should the need arise and … well, shockingly another player has been working out this offseason!
The scene at Philippi Institute provides proof. Fowler, once a blade of grass, easily muscles his way through a day that includes sledgehammer smashes, heavy ropes and decline push-ups. His knees, which he admitted bothered him in September, are sturdy. He has added about 7 pounds and dropped 4 percent body fat thanks to a diet heavy on greens.
“I have put on weight before and felt heavy. This is the best I’ve ever felt,” said the 6-foot-4 Fowler, who said he would like to play at 195 pounds. “Working out with these guys has really pushed me.”
Despite a midseason demotion to the minors Fowler finished last season with slightly better overall numbers than his rookie and sophomore years, hitting .266 with a .796 OPS compared to .263 with a .764 OPS coming into 2011. And much of his game is based on speed and athleticism, both offensively and defensively, so it’s worth wondering if the 25-year-old adding weight and muscle is automatically a great thing.
Either way, we’re thrilled to add another name to the “BSOML” list.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)