Jan 19, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
Calcaterra is on vacation, but before leaving he gave me permission to cover the “best shape of my life” beat should the need arise and … well, shockingly another player has been working out this offseason!
The scene at Philippi Institute provides proof. Fowler, once a blade of grass, easily muscles his way through a day that includes sledgehammer smashes, heavy ropes and decline push-ups. His knees, which he admitted bothered him in September, are sturdy. He has added about 7 pounds and dropped 4 percent body fat thanks to a diet heavy on greens.
“I have put on weight before and felt heavy. This is the best I’ve ever felt,” said the 6-foot-4 Fowler, who said he would like to play at 195 pounds. “Working out with these guys has really pushed me.”
Despite a midseason demotion to the minors Fowler finished last season with slightly better overall numbers than his rookie and sophomore years, hitting .266 with a .796 OPS compared to .263 with a .764 OPS coming into 2011. And much of his game is based on speed and athleticism, both offensively and defensively, so it’s worth wondering if the 25-year-old adding weight and muscle is automatically a great thing.
Either way, we’re thrilled to add another name to the “BSOML” list.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)