Jan 19, 2012, 12:21 PM EST
Calcaterra is on vacation, but before leaving he gave me permission to cover the “best shape of my life” beat should the need arise and … well, shockingly another player has been working out this offseason!
The scene at Philippi Institute provides proof. Fowler, once a blade of grass, easily muscles his way through a day that includes sledgehammer smashes, heavy ropes and decline push-ups. His knees, which he admitted bothered him in September, are sturdy. He has added about 7 pounds and dropped 4 percent body fat thanks to a diet heavy on greens.
“I have put on weight before and felt heavy. This is the best I’ve ever felt,” said the 6-foot-4 Fowler, who said he would like to play at 195 pounds. “Working out with these guys has really pushed me.”
Despite a midseason demotion to the minors Fowler finished last season with slightly better overall numbers than his rookie and sophomore years, hitting .266 with a .796 OPS compared to .263 with a .764 OPS coming into 2011. And much of his game is based on speed and athleticism, both offensively and defensively, so it’s worth wondering if the 25-year-old adding weight and muscle is automatically a great thing.
Either way, we’re thrilled to add another name to the “BSOML” list.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 16
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 49
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)