Jan 19, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Fred Lewis, who spent last season with the Reds, has inked a minor-league deal with the Indians that includes an invitation to spring training.
Lewis struggled last season, hitting just .230 with a .638 OPS in 81 games while spending time on the disabled list with an oblique injury, but he’s generally been a pretty solid fourth outfielder or platoon starter.
From 2007-2010 he hit .271 with a .347 on-base percentage and .417 slugging percentage in 423 games for the Giants and Blue Jays, so while aging and injuries mean he’s no longer a capable defensive center fielder he could be a useful left-handed bench bat in Cleveland.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)