Gary Carter’s brain cancer treatment is “extremely grave”

Jan 19, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT

Gary Carter Reuters

Gary Carter’s daughter revealed that a recent MRI exam on the Hall of Fame catcher showed “several new spots/tumors on his brain” and Bill Madden of the New York Daily News writes that “Carter’s fight with brain cancer has turned from brave to extremely grave.”

According to Madden, in recent weeks Carter’s “condition was visibly worsening” and the 57-year-old “began complaining of severe headaches, fatigue, and balance problems that resulted in a fall on Christmas Day in which he tore his rotator cuff.”

Carter was unable to attend his annual charity golf tournament earlier this week and a family member told Madden that doctors are now considering stopping treatment.

Carter, who was inducted into Cooperstown in 2003 following a 19-year career with the Expos, Mets, Giants, and Dodgers, was diagnosed with inoperable brain tumors in May.

1. redsfanmaryd - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Playing at the same time as Johnny Bench, I always thought it was a shame he didn’t get the recognition he deserved ( All Star starter… that kind of thing ). Always a gentleman… a real class act. His loved ones will be in my prayers tonight

2. vipod4ever - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

oh god, remember going to afternoon games at Jarry Park in the 70’s and seeing this up and coming young catcher. He loved playing in Montreal, and was a key player in the ’86 Mets WS….those memories are always of the Kid…god’s speed.

3. buffalomafia - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

God bless Gary Carter!

4. adenzeno - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I loved watching him catch-gave a GREAT target for his pitchers-There is a reason that the Mets’ staff’s in the mid late 80s had great team ERAs. My prayers are with him and his family. LOVED him as a Met!!

5. fightingwombat - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

“The Kid” willed his Mets and Expos teams to win, even when it looked like they were out of it…and now to find out that his life may be ending to cancer…I thought I had a bad week (lost my job last Friday)…and now this…

Gary was a hero of mine growing up in Orange County, CA…dude had a fire in his belly even in HS…and now finding out that he’s facing a full count against a nasty form of cancer…

God Bless him and his family…

6. jhb64 - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

This is one of the classiest guys on and off the field

7. bobwheel - Jan 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I got chills when I read this. I have had the pleasure of meetimg Gary several times. There is a picture of him with my wife and me prominently displayed in my home. He was always the perfect gentleman, and genuinely interested in everyone as a person. God bless him.

8. pugetsoundmarinerfan - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I remember Gary Carter as a fierce competitor on the field, a gentleman off the field, and a great role model for our youth. The game of baseball was all the better for his participation, and he brought his fans to their feet with cheers during many games. He lived a great life, had a slew of friends, and deserves our respect and thanks for a life well lived that included us, his fans! I, for one, wish him peace and I look forward one day to getting his autograph on The Other Side.

9. proobone - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I’m touched, I’m a lifetime Red’s fan but Carter is a player who played the game and represented the game as a player should . What a loss to humanity it will be when he passes. He is one of those players that really touched me as I watched him play and be interviewed. He will be missed nad I pray thet he goes peacefully and Mmy thoughts go out to his family , stay stong and remember the good. He is a good man.

10. tone360 - Jan 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Gary Carter is awesome. Cancer sucks!

11. mox19380 - Jan 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Like many on this page I have lost more than a few close friends and family as a result of cancer. I like to consider myself a man of strong resolve but when I read things like this my eyes well up with tears cause I know the pain and grief the family will go through and the excruciating physical and mental pain Mr. Carter will go through. I wish I could say I had an optimistic outlook for Mr. Carter but knowing the in-and-outs of brain tumors I know it isn’t likely….nontheless I wish him the best and hope he can beat the odds

12. Lucas - Jan 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Please get it right-the TREATMENT isn’t “extremely grave”, the PROGNOSIS/DIAGNOSIS/OUTLOOK (there are many ways to say it) is.

Saying that the treatment itself is grave would mean that it’s a horrible thing to do.

BIG, HUGE difference.

13. p543 - Jan 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM

My friend met Gary Carter when he was playing for the Giants. He told her that he did not have time to sign an autograph, but would meet her after the game to sign autographs and he did. One of my favorite players and a class act.

14. hushbrother - Jan 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Gary Carter always seemed like a positive guy, hopefully is attitude is helping him and his family through this difficult time.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3439)