Gary Carter’s brain cancer treatment is “extremely grave”

Jan 19, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT

Gary Carter Reuters

Gary Carter’s daughter revealed that a recent MRI exam on the Hall of Fame catcher showed “several new spots/tumors on his brain” and Bill Madden of the New York Daily News writes that “Carter’s fight with brain cancer has turned from brave to extremely grave.”

According to Madden, in recent weeks Carter’s “condition was visibly worsening” and the 57-year-old “began complaining of severe headaches, fatigue, and balance problems that resulted in a fall on Christmas Day in which he tore his rotator cuff.”

Carter was unable to attend his annual charity golf tournament earlier this week and a family member told Madden that doctors are now considering stopping treatment.

Carter, who was inducted into Cooperstown in 2003 following a 19-year career with the Expos, Mets, Giants, and Dodgers, was diagnosed with inoperable brain tumors in May.

1. ikedavisnose - Jan 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Well, my day just went down the crapper

2. sdelmonte - Jan 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I am sick of cancer. Too much of it in people I know, too much in people I never met but admire.

Not much anyone can say at this point, is there?

3. The Common Man - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Oh hell.

4. fearlessleader - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM

To paraphrase Ron Washington, cancer is a m*therf*cking c*cks*cker, and I hate to see one of our fiercest rivals of the 1980s suffering like this. May his path from here onward be as peaceful and painless as it possibly can.

5. babych99 - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I lost an uncle to this same condition this past May, god bless him and his family as the end draws near.

• CliffC - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Lost my old man to Glioblastoma this past April at 60. Unfortunately, Glioblastoma is essentially a death sentence. Wish I could say how I really felt but it wouldn’t get me very far on a site like this.

• jwbiii - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

My sister a few years ago as well. I understand your third sentence.

• indaburg - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Lost my dad to glioblastoma this past July at 63. I was hoping Carter could be one of the small percentage to survive.

• cur68 - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I hadn’t seen you around for a while ‘burg. I was wondering how things were going for your dad. Sorry to hear this. Same to you Cliff & JW. Family members are irreplaceable. Words don’t even come close to describing how awful such losses are nor are they adequate solace. Better days to you.

• jwbiii - Jan 20, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Wow. Thumbs down for commenters showing empathy to each other for having and watching and supporting loved ones die of a horrific disease.

6. shawndc04 - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Damn. I loved the “Kid”.

7. lpd1964 - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My heart aches for Gary Carter and his family. My mother died of lung cancer in 2010, I have an idea of what the Carter family is dealing with. Every day is truly precious.

8. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I don’t have words. Gary and his family are in my thoughts.

• yankeesgameday - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I have to second this. So sorry to hear this.

9. natsfan09 - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM

One of the nicest guys to ever play the game. This just saddens me.

10. Jonny 5 - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Same age as my old man….. :( Terrible.

11. xpensivewinos - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I know first-hand that losing a loved one to cancer is not fun. Kindest wishes to Gary Carter and his family. There’s really nothing you can say to comfort someone who’s going thru it…………whether you yourself has gone thru it or not. It’s just lousy.

12. njpurplehaze - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM

thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Kid. stay strong.

13. Old Gator - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Watching the Kid play for the Mets was one of the great joys of being a baseball fan. I just hope his final weeks are as comfortable, lucid and filled with love as possible.

14. randygnyc - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Just ugly. I’m 45, and I got to watch him play quite a bit. As a Yankee fan, it was hard to miss his headlines in the local papers. Damn…..

15. cur68 - Jan 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Greatest Expo ever. Hang in there Kid.

• missthemexpos - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I knew how many Edmonton Oiler hockey fans felt when Gretzky was traded, because it was the same feeling for myself and many of my fellow Expo fans felt when Gary was traded to the Mets. The Expo’s were so close in 81, so I just had to cheer on Gary and the Mets in 86.

• cur68 - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Yeah, if you’re an Oiler fan and an Expo fan, you got to feel it twice. Now it looks like we’re gonna be a man down in the “Boyhood Hero I’d Most Like To Meet” category. Damn it.

16. loge23 - Jan 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I met Gary and Mrs. Carter on a flight in 2006. He was everything you heard: gracious, kind, genuine, and truly appreciative of his fans. I had some hope that he would beat this horrible disease, but today’s news is not good.
    Condolences to his family and may you have a swift trip home, Gary.

17. viewsfromseat13 - Jan 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Wow one of my first memories of baseball is watching Gary Carter play catcher for the Mets! And the sheer look of joy when they won the World Series in 86… So sad… My thoughts and prayers to his family…

18. rambodiaz - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I just… Wow. I have tears in my eyes; I just thought about him the other day and thought the relative silence meant he could be getting better.

Gary, you’ll never read this, but I loved watching you with the Mets in the 80s. You guys beat up on my Pirates a lot, but watching you was great fun. I rooted for you the rest of your career – with the Giants, Dodgers and that last go around with Montreal – which I thought was so cool because I finally got to see you play in an Expos jersey.

Thanks for the joy you brought, man. I’ll not give up hope that you can turn this around, and I wish you nothing but peace and comfort during the journey. Let this stand as my thanks. You were the best, Kid.

19. pisano - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

A great man and a great ball player, I can only hope he’s a peace, God bless him, we should all pray for him.

• pisano - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Correction, “at pease”

• pisano - Jan 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Sorry, At peace. This news really bothers me, and I’m sure the rest of the people that know and love Gary.

20. aceshigh11 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

My eyes welled up reading that. Goddamn, I hate cancer.

He’s too damned young and too damned nice to be going through this…hang in there. I hope he can at least be in as little pain as possible through this ordeal.

21. daspyknows - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Wow, that sucks. Remember him fondly as a Met fan growing up. Why do the good people go down with it. Not to wish bad on anyone but we all could find 10 people more deserving of this.

22. concernedcitizen001 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

This is heartbreaking to hear about one of my childhood idols. Thoughts and prayers are sent to him and the whole family.

23. billb09 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Praying for a miracle for a guy who never quit, god bless the “Kid” # 8 on your scorecard but #1 in our hearts.

24. bartells42 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I grew up in Pittsburgh as a Mets fan. When I was 9 years old my dad pulled me out of 3rd grade class around 11:30 and told me he had a surprise for me. He drove me to Three River Stadium before the start of a Pirates-Mets double header. I couldn’t understand why were sitting in an office area at a baseball stadium but then out of nowhere out walked my childhood hero, Gary Carter. He spent about 30 minutes with me and had an even bigger smile in person than he had on tv. He laughed when my dad showed him my binder containing every baseball card of his ever made. He gave us tickets down by the field and stopped over in between games to talk to my dad and I. To this day I still have his autographed baseball on my shelf and the picture of he and I framed on my wall. That is the happiest memory of my childhood.

Reading this story brings a tear to my eye. I hope Gary knows that he still has fans who are rooting for him.

25. jetsmets76 - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM

This just sucks. My father past away in March and I remember the day the doctors wanted to stop treatment and we started hospice. It’s an absolutely helpless feeling to just watch your father die like that. I only hope it is peaceful. My heart is very heavy for his family.

Carter was a great player and I grew up wanting to be him. I wanted to be a catcher in little league and wear number 8. I have all of his baseball cards somewhere in the attic. He was Amazing!

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2952)