Joe Magrane’s daughter advanced to the next round on “American Idol” last night

Jan 19, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Magranejoe

I might be the only person in the country who’s never watched an epipode of “American Idol” at this point, but this story is still interesting.

Former big league pitcher and current MLB Network announcer Joe Magrane has a 15-year-old daughter named Shannon Magrane and she auditioned for the “American Idol” judges on Wednesday night’s show, with Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler, and Randy Jackson all giving her the thumbs-up to move on the next round.

She sang the Etta James classic “Something’s Got A Hold On Me” and her dad even made an appearance on the show, with Tyler making things super awkward by equating his daughter to “hot, humid, and happening” weather.

Here’s the video:

1. illcomm - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Nothing better than an awkward comment by Tyler about his daughter. And yes, the wife had me watching the show.

2. samu0034 - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Jesus, that card set is so ubiquitous it’s ridiculous. I only recognize that guy at all because of that exact baseball card.

• southcapitolstreet - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Ahh – fond memories of the woodgrain background on Topps’ 1987 series. Always reminded me of the cheap paneling in my parents’ basement.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Incidently I found my childhood baseball card collection at my Parents house this weekend. I think I have half of the 1987 Topps. I spent Sunday afternoon going through them, and yes I found 40-50 “repeat” cards. Which made me kind of sad because I realized the likelyhood I would find some other dork to trade with was nil. It was like taking a trip back into time.

On the other hand, it reminded me of the passion I had for the game of baseball as a boy. And while I’m a little more cynical about the world now…baseball is still a big part of who I am…because…well It just kicks ass.

3. phukyouk - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

he called a 15 yr old hot and happening.. how the hell did that make it past the editing room?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Ratings.

• phukyouk - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

they actually advertised the new season with THIS scene… very sad

• Utley's Hair - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

It’s FOX.

4. hushbrother - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I’ve never watched American Idol either

• sdelmonte - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Nor have I.

• Old Gator - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Nor me, and I think people who do watch it are a bunch of meerkats.

And I hate meerkats.

• wlschneider09 - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM

None for me either. What’s with the malice towards meerkats, Gator?

• vanmorrissey - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Never watched, don’t watch now, will never watch. But it is a cool story.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I have had the incredible misfortune of having walked into the room while my wife was watching the weekend reairings of past seasons.

—Sigh—

• deathmonkey41 - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I am proud to say I’ve never watched a single minute of American Idol. Don’t even know when it’s on.

5. dsimp724 - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

“15 thats a little old. You got any younger brothers?”….. Jerry sandusky

• lovesmesomeme - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Wow. I get it and think its kinda funny, but wow.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM

What a ridiculous comment. Jerry wouldn’t be on Idol.

• phukyouk - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I LOL’d

• sportsdrenched.com - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Yep, me too. He wins the Internet’s “Sick & Twisted” Division for the day.

Your reward is reading another BSOHL Thread.

6. thomas2727 - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Ozzie Smith’s son Nikko is still the leader in the clubhouse for best St. Louis Cardinals player child on American Idol

7. papacrick - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Love this show. Gets lame once they go live though. Auditions are the best

8. finfan88shark - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

She has already made it to the top 42 finals. She pasted Hollywood week and Las Vegas.

• thomas2727 - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM

UHOH you forgot to tag your post with spoiler alert. lol

9. jwbiii - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I recently read a Where Are They Now article about American Idol contestants. William Hung is now an analyst for the LA County Sheriff’s Department, so there’s a non-zero chance he’s trying to figure out where the body part will be found in Griffith Park.

• jwbiii - Jan 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

where the next body part. . .

10. okwhitefalcon - Jan 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Ah, the quote machine that was Joe Magrane – here’s a favorite:

When arriving in NYC for a series with the Mets in the late 80′s, Magrane quips:

“Ah, JFK – the man, the airport.”

11. azvikefan - Jan 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM

You are not alone Aaron. I have never watched one millesecond of ANY so called reality shows.

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Me neither. Not even the 2000 election.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 20, 2012 at 4:28 AM

That whole thing was in the reality-horror genre, and required oodles of suspension of disbelief.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4963)