Jan 19, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Press conferences are typically held on weekday afternoons to ensure that fans and media members can easily take in whatever news is being discussed. But the Angels’ press conference introducing Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson was held outdoors on a Saturday and the Rangers are now taking a unique approach with their big offseason acquisition.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Darvish will be introduced on Friday night, 7 p.m. ET, at the Ballpark in Arlington. It’ll be a party! With a DJ! And dancing! And an open bar! OK, scratch those last three things.
Darvish agreed to a six-year, $60 million contract on Wednesday night with the Rangers, who paid a $51,703,411 posting fee to the Nippon Ham Fighters to obtain exclusive negotiating rights.
The 6-foot-5 right-hander posted a 1.44 ERA and 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings last season in Japan.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)