Jan 19, 2012, 8:35 PM EST
Press conferences are typically held on weekday afternoons to ensure that fans and media members can easily take in whatever news is being discussed. But the Angels’ press conference introducing Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson was held outdoors on a Saturday and the Rangers are now taking a unique approach with their big offseason acquisition.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Darvish will be introduced on Friday night, 7 p.m. ET, at the Ballpark in Arlington. It’ll be a party! With a DJ! And dancing! And an open bar! OK, scratch those last three things.
Darvish agreed to a six-year, $60 million contract on Wednesday night with the Rangers, who paid a $51,703,411 posting fee to the Nippon Ham Fighters to obtain exclusive negotiating rights.
The 6-foot-5 right-hander posted a 1.44 ERA and 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings last season in Japan.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 9
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 81
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)